Stinking, Annoying Moral Dilemmas...

Decorating By justfrosting Updated 1 May 2007 , 4:03pm by MahalKita

justfrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justfrosting Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 46

I went to HL this morning because they had candy supplies 30% off. I had three of my kids with me and they were acting up and the entire trip was pretty chaotic.

The cashier was new and didn't know Wilton candy was on sale so I showed her the ad.

Anyway...I got home and looked at my receipt because I got 8 bags of candy and several other items for 20.00, it seemed cheap. Turns out, she gave me 50% off and didn't charge for some new tips I bought.

Shoot. My daughter is behind me saying..mommy that is stealing!

Now I have to go back. I paid with a credit card too...Grrr icon_mad.gif

45 replies
jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:02pm
post #2 of 46

I think its great that you would return to the store and correct the mistake I would do the same thing . icon_smile.gif

Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 46

You're a good person. I love your picture on your Avatar

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 46

I think it is great that you have instilled wonderful values in your children, even if we would like to ignore them sometimes. icon_lol.gif

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:09pm
post #5 of 46

Are you guys crazy? They steal from us everytime we go there. You know how much those stupid tips actually cost to make? Just a couple of cents. I belive totally it's not stealing if you put it up top and she forgets to scan or something like give you extra discount. It's HL's fault if they are so cheap they don't have someone helping the poor girl so she is totally trained. She gave you the repeat customer discount. It's kinda like a gift for going there so much.

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:09pm
post #6 of 46

I would and have done the same icon_smile.gif Its worth it thumbs_up.gif

justfrosting Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:11pm
post #7 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibugs

Are you guys crazy? They steal from us everytime we go there. You know how much those stupid tips actually cost to make? Just a couple of cents. I belive totally it's not stealing if you put it up top and she forgets to scan or something like give you extra discount. It's HL's fault if they are so cheap they don't have someone helping the poor girl so she is totally trained. She gave you the repeat customer discount. It's kinda like a gift for going there so much.

That is the little voice in my head icon_wink.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:12pm
post #8 of 46

Anything you make with things you don't feel you got "fair and square" won't turn out. Just a warning icon_lol.gif

alibugs Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:13pm
post #9 of 46

Listen to the voice in your head. Enjoy your gift.

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:15pm
post #10 of 46

It's always best to be honest. What will you teach your kids if you don't go back to the store and fix the mistake?

allycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allycook Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:15pm
post #11 of 46

Little eyes are always watching and learning and will someday respond in the same way. Besides everytime you use those supplies your conscience would remind you of the incedent and bother you. Way to go!

irishteabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
irishteabear Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibugs

They may only cost a couple of cents to make but they also have other things to pay like rent, taxes, payroll...... The list could go on forever. Everyone makes an occasional mistake, don't you? It IS stealing and doesn't set a good example for children.

I agree, yes it's a pain to have to go back, but you are teaching your children a valuable lesson and that's worth any inconvenience.

breelaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
breelaura Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:18pm
post #13 of 46

Call them up and talk to the manager rather than dragging all the way back over. He or she may not even want you to come in to fix it (especially if you mention that you're a regular customer, etc.), at which point it really IS a gift, and you've shown your daughter that you practice what you preach. If they do want you to come back and adjust prices, then you have your moral clarity there, too.

McMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
McMama Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:18pm
post #14 of 46

I definitely believe in karma. You are teaching your kids valuable lessons. My kids tell me that they often think to themselves, "what would mom do?" What a compliment to parenting!

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:18pm
post #15 of 46

Which is going to help you sleep tonight?

justfrosting Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:19pm
post #16 of 46

I'm going...I'm going icon_smile.gif

grami948 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grami948 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:19pm
post #17 of 46

Often in life the right thing aren't the easiest or most convenient to do. I've returned to stores to let them know they under charged me only to get a goofy "huh?" look. icon_eek.gif That I chalk up to their moral issue not mine. I figure if I deal with things gently perhaps things will be righted before someone else having a icon_mad.gif attitude shows up. Won't be easy to pack up the kids in the car again & go all the way back but at least you'll have the satisfaction of setting a good example for your kids & showing them how an adult deals with certain life issues. It will come back in positive ways more than you can imagine.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:19pm
post #18 of 46

I know it is tempting, either way I guess it is fine, it is not like to put things in your pocket or was planning on NOT paying, it was an honest mistake BUT in the other hand, WHAT DO YOU WANT YOUR CHILDREN TO LEARN, WHAT DO YOU WANT THEM TO SEE YOU DO??? IMHO it is all about setting an example to your kids! Again, Just my opinion!!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:20pm
post #19 of 46

I would be going with that little voice in my head telling me to accept the gift. I very rarely pay attention to my receipt. I usually have a general idea of what it should cost. The only time I look at it is if it goes over what I think it should be.

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:20pm
post #20 of 46

Sorry, but I agree with toristreats. I would absolutely go back and correct the mistake. The little voice that's telling you it's okay to keep everything will soon be talking to you every time you use those items! My kids would probably come out with something like "Isn't that one of the tips you stole?" or say something next time you're in the store. "Remember when we were here last time, and we didn't pay for those things?"

I just couldn't live with myself. The other night at the kids' school Earth Day Event, I gave back a raffle ticket because they were 6 for $2 and she gave me 7.

Good for you. You're setting a good example for your little ones.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:21pm
post #21 of 46

By HONEST MISTAKE I mean, HL mistake, not yours... icon_wink.gifthumbs_up.gif

oceanspitfire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oceanspitfire Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:23pm
post #22 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by allycook

Little eyes are always watching and learning and will someday respond in the same way. Besides everytime you use those supplies your conscience would remind you of the incedent and bother you. Way to go!

agreed on that one, that kind of stuff jsut comes and bites you in the arse in the end. Plus the most important thing, little eyes watching and learning it's ok -
Sure enough lots of stores do overcharge, but there are other ways to get a deal without the moral repercussions lol.

I did hear from someone who used to work at a grocery store that most stores have this policy (if they do it's posted somewhere at the front of the store) where if they scan an item incorrectly, you get that item free. I cant remember what the policy is called lol. Naturally that would be geared towards getting overcharged lol. Maybe I'll ask her more how that works lol.

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 4:10pm
post #23 of 46

I am very proud of the fact that you chose to go back to the store and rectify the mistake. If there were more people like yourself and so many others on here, this world would be such a better place.
A couple of dollars isn't worth the feeling that you would have if you kept it. I know, I've done it both ways, and it always feels so much better to be honest. I paid back money for a mix up with a carton of pop a month after the ordeal. I just couldn't stand going shopping in that store knowing that they hadn't charged me. I felt so much better explaining,and paying what i knew I owed.

birdgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
birdgirl Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 4:27pm
post #24 of 46

I had an incident at Walmart that there was a huge mistake in fabric I bought. My dh paid for it and when we got home I caught it. Since we live 30 minutes away I called since I felt bad and they said it was ok. It was their mistake and that I don't need to worry about it--especially driving back to correct it. I would go back or call and let them know what happened--you never know. There is a reason for that "little" voice--not many people hear it anymore.

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:22pm
post #25 of 46

That has happened to me so many times, that I feel like I'm being tested sometimes. icon_smile.gif

HOME DEPOT- They forgot to ring up 4 bags of mulch that was under the cart.....I lugged them back.

JoAnn's- One of the wreaths I bought wasn't rung up. I didn't catch it until I was in the car during a snow storm....lugged that back as well.

The list is long. BUT (and I'm not trying to justify anything) if something was scanned incorrectly, I am not going to take it back. That is too much work to check the price of every item on my reciept. Unless maybe it's an obvious mistake (Rang up 20 cents instead of $20).

That's my take on it. It doesn't matter how much it costs. I've taken back a 50 cent item that was forgotten. Is it to make me feel better? Not really. It's not mine, and I don't want to steal it. I don't consider it a gift. But that's just me.

Plus...I have 2 small children (2 year old and 4 year old), so returning things is no easy task. icon_biggrin.gif

Angie

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:54pm
post #26 of 46

Angie I feel the same way because it happens so often to me too lol. I still drag my little ones back to the stores to fix the prices. I try to put myself in their place (yes even if its a huge place like Walmart, its still their product/money not mine). I do what helps me to sleep at night icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:56pm
post #27 of 46

I think that by posting this you are uncomfortable with the situation. I give you kudos for taking the items back and correcting it.

To those that say "oh consider it a gift" we aren't talking about one little item here. We are talking about 8 bags of candy melts plus tips. Hobby Lobby or Michaels or Joanns do not have to put things on sell, so getting something for 30% off the regular price to me is already a 'gift'. It is not justfrosting's fault, but she is aware of what happened as is her kids.

If a customer of yours accidently paid you less than you were owed for a cake, would you just chalk it up to a gift to them? Or would you want the money you did not get? Even if you didn't notice it until they left or later? Would you hope that they would be honest people that would contact you and say I was looking at my reciept and realized I did not didn't pay you enough?

And I would be willing to bet that almost everyone here would certainly be running back to the store if the store double charged you for something or charged you more than they were suppose to or if you did not get home with your item. You wouldn't chalk it up to a gift to the store and say lets forget about making it right.

alibugs Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 8:47pm
post #28 of 46

I see this as their mistake. Call up, I'm sure they will say ok that's our loss.
I personally don't see it the way most of you do.
I often drive along the road and give the homeless food. So when I get a super big bargin like that, I'm able to make a few more PB&J's or get an extra box of caprisun's.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 8:56pm
post #29 of 46

I'd start with the phone call. With all of the coded info on a receipt, the store manager can probably call it up and see the errors. If he wants to be kind, he can say forget it. If he wants to go by the book, he can correct it over the phone. If it requires a trip to the store, get his name, save the receipt, and take care of it on your next planned trip to that area. No matter what, you shouldn't have to pay the cost of roundtrip gas for THEIR mistake.

No matter what happens, you're right to want to set it straight. This was not A GIFT, it was an error--an honest error, but an error, never the less.

Congrats for wanting to do the right thing. Too many people nowadays find doing the right thing, shall we say, "inconvenient".

Rae

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 9:01pm
post #30 of 46

Absolutely! Going back is the ONLY thing to do. Yes....it was their mistake. Not yours. But you didn't pay for it and so you're right to go back and let them know.
They will absolutely think you're nuts for doing it too.....but it's the right thing.

My husband and I bought two vcr/dvd players from walmart around Christmas time. They were so busy, of course. When we got to the car, I do like I always do and look at the receipt (mostly to make sure they didn't overcharge). They didn't even charge us for one of the dvd players, which was over 100 bucks!
We went right back in to let them know. The greeter at the door thought my husband was kidding. But it's right.

You have to do what you know is right. It's a good habit to get into.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%