That's Just How The Cookie Crumbles...

Decorating By Newbieone Updated 30 Apr 2007 , 12:32pm by bethola

Newbieone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbieone Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:38am
post #1 of 18

OK, not the cookie, THE CAKE! Why are my cakes so crumbly? I am new to baking, and absolutely only do it so that I can do my love- decorating!
My chocolate box cakes in particular can't even hold a cut...they just crumble into 10-50 little pieces! I add the extra sour cream and use canola oil instead of vegetable oil. Could that be doing it? I just didn't want to do a plain choc boxed cake and got the idea of the sour cream from CC ladies.

Any suggestions would be awesome. I just wish I was rich and could hire someone to bake fabulous cakes for me AND CLEAN UP and all I would do is the fun part- decorate! Ok, i know I don't have to be rich, just own a bakery- but STILL!
icon_rolleyes.gif
Christina

17 replies
mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:13am
post #2 of 18

I hate box chocolate cake mixes. I even tried the cake extenders on here and my cakes fell apart. I use the chocolate cake recipe in my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook and add my own stuff to it. The last time I made a box cake mix and it actually stood up to cutting, I added 8 oz of melted chocolate, an extra egg, 1/4 c cocoa, and 1/8 c of very strong coffee. I have also heard to add sour cream, I'd add about 1/4 c. That should help icon_smile.gif, if you want the BH&G recipe let me know, it's actually easier and WAYYY tastier than the box cake!

MissLady85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLady85 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:15am
post #3 of 18

ok well after seeing that i wanna try the one from BH&G!!! can you pm it to me please??? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:21am
post #4 of 18

I use DH cake mixes and add a box of pudding and an extra egg to it. It comes out very moist and not crumbly...

feverfixer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feverfixer Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:21am
post #5 of 18

Have you tried the blue ribbon choc cake on this site? It uses a mix, but adds lots of yummy ingredients. I love this cake and it can easily be carved into different shapes when refridgerated. It holds up great.
HTH
Diane

mizshelli Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:23am
post #6 of 18

1/2 a box of chocolate fudge pudding helps too.....I doctored my cake mixes so much it's just easier to use my other ones...lol

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:26am
post #7 of 18

I use Betty Crocker Choc Fudge cake mix ... no extender, no pudding, no extra egg. No problem.

mizshelli Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:28am
post #8 of 18

icon_cry.gif Debi the BC ones are never on sale here!! LOL

soccermom17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soccermom17 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:32am
post #9 of 18

I do my baking from scratch, and use the Crazy Chocolate Cake recipe from this site. Mix all dry ingredients in one bowl, liquids in another, the add the dry to the wet 2 or 3 times. This cake is SOO moist. i made 6 batches for all the cake I did for this past weekend, and had LOTS of compliments. I too wish I was rich and could hire someone to do the baking and cleaning up. I just want to do the fun stuff.

mizshelli Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:41am
post #10 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccermom17

I too wish I was rich and could hire someone to do the baking and cleaning up. I just want to do the fun stuff.

Isn't that what kids are for??!?!?
Now I'm confused......

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:44am
post #11 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizshelli

How much do they run in your area? My everyday price at Walmart is $0.93. (The everyday price at another local grocery store is almost three bucks a box!!!! icon_surprised.gif )

keonicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
keonicakes Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:48am
post #12 of 18

I'm with Indydebi. I only use Betty Crocker and have never had that problem. At the grocery store, they are close to $2.00 per box, Wal Mart 93 cents ea. They do go on sale occasionally and you can stock up.

Jorre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jorre Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:53am
post #13 of 18

Betty Crocker chocolate fudge mix is great! I made one for a school carnival last friday, decorated it with chocolate buttercream in basketweave with fondant daisies. A mom I knew managed to win it and called to tell me how amazingly yummy it was.

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 3:53am
post #14 of 18

It also helps to bake cakes at 325 instead of the 350 suggested on the box. Take the cakes out of the oven when they just start pulling from the sides. Not sure if you're already doing that.

mizshelli Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 4:01am
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizshelli

How much do they run in your area? My everyday price at Walmart is $0.93. (The everyday price at another local grocery store is almost three bucks a box!!!! icon_surprised.gif )

I did get some at Walmart cheap, but they still had a chemical taste to them icon_sad.gif

giggysmack Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giggysmack Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 4:32am
post #16 of 18

My favourite is Betty Crocker pudding in the mix brand Devils food, chocolate fudge second.

Newbieone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Newbieone Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 12:10pm
post #17 of 18

Thanks for the AWESOME suggestions!! I hate baking so much, but need to learn to love it to be in this profession one day. I was just thinking it was my terrible skills (for my wedding, friends gave me a basket that included instant macaroni and cheese and a book on how to boil water for my 'poor' husband). But maybe it is my 'recipe' I have been using.

Oh, and I would love that BH and G recipe, although making anything from scratch terrifies me and makes me have anxiety! icon_rolleyes.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 12:32pm
post #18 of 18

I use Pillsbury Dark Chocolate cake mix...no additives...no problem.

Beth in KY

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%