How To Put Photos On Cakes

Decorating By cherri Updated 16 May 2006 , 12:37am by SheilaF

cherri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherri Posted 15 May 2006 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 8

i would like to add a photo to a cake like the ones you see at the grocery store bakeries. I assume they are on rice paper. How is that done? Does it take special equipment or can it be down on my computer?

7 replies
Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rodneyck Posted 15 May 2006 , 3:49pm
post #2 of 8

There are several threads on this topic covered in more detail, but the jest is this...

You can do it at home with a printer (specific models required) that are solely devoted to this type of printing (you can't use for regular printing.)

You need either rice paper or wafer paper

Edible ink cartridges for the printer

And cleaner cartridges because the edible ink clogs from time to time.

Here is one of a few sites for supplies and info;

There are websites that you can send in a photo and they will do this for you as another option.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 15 May 2006 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 8

I wonder if the grocery stores will print a picture for you...

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 15 May 2006 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 8

if you're not sure that you want to spend the money on the printer etc. sometime your local cake supply stores do it for you. You bring them your photos, they print them out and you put them on your cake or cookies.

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 15 May 2006 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 8

I am able to take mine to a local grocery store chain and have the picture made without buying a cake. $5 any size! For me this is better than an investment right now

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 15 May 2006 , 9:00pm
post #6 of 8

I get mine at a specialty cake store too. $5 for an 8X10 sheet size and $10 for the 10X15 sheet size. Which is an awesome deal IMO. I get mine printed on frosting sheets instead of the rice paper though.

mrskennyprice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrskennyprice Posted 15 May 2006 , 11:49pm
post #7 of 8

what's a frosting sheet and where do you get it?

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 16 May 2006 , 12:37am
post #8 of 8

They are the same concept as the rice paper, but feel more like really thin taffee. Here's a link to a site that carries them.

I've never used the rice paper other than for butterflys, so I don't know how they compair to that for effect, but they basically dissolve right into the cake and you are just left w/the image. They take longer to incorporate into the all crisco frostings. They work really well with a moist frosting (the more moisture, the better/faster they absorb)

Quote by @%username% on %date%