Sand Problems

Decorating By Cakeasyoulikeit Updated 22 Oct 2004 , 5:15pm by partiqueen

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 16 Oct 2004 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 8

I made a cake today with a beach theme and could NOT get the brown sugar sand to stick to the sides. What's the trick? I was trying while the cake was completely iced and attached to the cake plate and was attempting to use my fingers to press it on. icon_cry.gif

7 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 16 Oct 2004 , 8:29pm
post #2 of 8

if you spread a thin layer of clear piping gel down it will stick to that ..

libysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
libysue Posted 17 Oct 2004 , 12:58am
post #3 of 8

the trick is to put your sugar on as soon as you ice your cake before the icing hardenes. if it crusts over before you get it done you'll have to use the piping gel like ladycake suggested or even spritz it with alittle water. i'd be careful doing that with the sugar though .. it might run. i use to do this with sprinkles, sugar gran's, coconut ... whatever i wanted on the sides of the cake. hope this helps thumbs_up.gif ! danielle

ecinoly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ecinoly Posted 21 Oct 2004 , 12:35am
post #4 of 8

I also would like to know how to get nuts, sprinkles etc. on the sides of the cake. I'm embarrased to say it but I've even tried throwing the sprinkles at the cake. icon_redface.gif didn't work.

Can someone please explain the technique? I'd be so grateful!

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 21 Oct 2004 , 12:45am
post #5 of 8

When doing nuts you have to kinda tip the cake and put them in your hand and then press them to the cake... If you can do it before you frosting crusts it would be best..

libysue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
libysue Posted 21 Oct 2004 , 9:31pm
post #6 of 8

anything you want to put on the sides of your cake should go on as soon as you're done icing it. get a handful of nuts, sprinkles, sugar ... whatever you want ... tilt the cake alittle and "smoosh" your handful of goodies where you want them thumbs_up.gif make sure you do this over a bowl, trash can, or counter top because not everything you put on the sides will stay there, a few pieces that can't get to the icing will fall back off. hope this helps!

Cakeasyoulikeit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeasyoulikeit Posted 22 Oct 2004 , 12:06pm
post #7 of 8

Thank guys! I think I probably waited too long. I'll move faster next time. And I might try the graham cracker idea because the sugar did make it a little too sweet. icon_smile.gif

partiqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
partiqueen Posted 22 Oct 2004 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 8

I have used both types of buttercream icings for my cakes and had the most success with the non-crusting ones. They are always "sticky" and you have time to do as you need to and finish up at the end once your cake is on the plate. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%