Rolling Out Fondant, And Getting It Onto The Cake???

Decorating By momof5kiki Updated 30 Apr 2007 , 5:09pm by hsmomma

momof5kiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof5kiki Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 3:55am
post #1 of 11

Ok, so I am trying to figure this out. I tried rolling out out on a greased counter, but that didn't work, it stuck. I thought about rolling it out on waxed paper, or parchment then flipping? Is that like wayyyyy wrong? icon_surprised.gif

10 replies
heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 3:58am
post #2 of 11

I find the very best way to roll out fondant is on a silicone mat its the only thing that works for me but I think it will work on waxed paper just make sure the paper doesnt crinkle under the fondant and leave lines.

StaceyC3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyC3 Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 4:04am
post #3 of 11

I use a big piece of vinyl (less than $3 at Walmart). I grease it, roll out my fondant to the correct size, then lift the whole thing (vinyl and fondant together), slap it on the cake, and the vinyl peels right offf, leaving the nice smooth fondant behind! I never have to lift the fondant with my hands...I'm actually lifting up the vinyl with the fondant "stuck" to it.

Then I just smooth the fondant to the sides of the cake and trim the excess away. If you don't want to use vinyl, a Wilton dividing wheel works the same way.

Hope that makes sense...good luck!

miriel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miriel Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 4:04am
post #4 of 11

It helps to constantly move the fondant as you roll and sprinkling the table with cornstarch with every turn of the fondant. Roll one way, turn 1/4 clockwise, roll again etc. This way, you check constantly if the fondant is sticking at all to the table.

I've heard of people using large plastic mats to roll them out for easier lifting but I have not tried it that way.

momof5kiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof5kiki Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 4:06am
post #5 of 11

Thanks everyone, looks like I need to go shopping tomorrow!

itsasweetthing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsasweetthing Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 4:14am
post #6 of 11

Hi,
I use the Wilton "roll & cut mat" . Here is a link to see and read about it.

www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=12E16DE9-475A-BAC0-56AEE0CE62D22CF0

But although they say to sprinkle icing sugar, it is really best to use cornstarch. And your fondant will not stick.
Also, after rolling, I gently lay my fondant with mat over my large rolling pin to help to lift and lower it over the cake without ripping or marking it.
Hope this helps.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 4:14am
post #7 of 11

yeah I do what stacey does. Works great!!!

feverfixer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
feverfixer Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 4:21am
post #8 of 11

Yeah, I'm with Stacey. It by far the easiest way. It is quick, cheap and you get perfect results every time. Once on the cake I dust my hand with powdered sugar and smooth to get rid of any greasy marks.
I was using the Wilton mat but my cakes are getting bigger. I bought a yard of vinyl at Walmart for $1.97, now I can cover any size I want!
Diane

Sweetcakes23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweetcakes23 Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 4:36am
post #9 of 11

Stacy, Does this vinyl mat you buy at Wal mart have any pattern on it? or is it clear, plain, vinyl? What dept. did you find it in?
Thanks for sharing!

StaceyC3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StaceyC3 Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 12:39pm
post #10 of 11

The vinyl I bought at Walmart is found in the fabric department. It comes on huge rolls that they'll cut to any size you want. It comes in different gauges/weights, but I just kind of felt them and bought the medium gauge one...not too thick, not too thin. I cut my piece into one huge sheet, and two smaller pieces. I just store them rolled up.

It has no pattern on it. It's just a clear sheet, although on the rolls, it does seem to have a greenish tint to it.

I didn't have any trouble finding it. Good luck!

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:09pm
post #11 of 11

Do you tape the edges down before rolling on it? How do you keep it from moving?
Thanks for your help!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%