Piping Gel Questions

Decorating By nicolag Updated 14 May 2006 , 2:06pm by boring

nicolag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolag Posted 14 May 2006 , 2:08am
post #1 of 5

Using piping gel to stick gold dragees - should I apply the gel then wait for it to 'set' a little before I attempt to stick them on? If so how long do you suggest.
I was planning to use it as 'glue' for fondant details, also does it have a taste (using red gel)? I have not used the piping gel before, what other uses does it have?
Once again thank you - your advice and knowledge is invaluable.

4 replies
eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 14 May 2006 , 2:15am
post #2 of 5

If you're sticking fondant details on fondant, I was taught to use vanilla. piping gel has no taste. if you use red, use no taste red. although with gel, a little color goes a long way, even red or black. at least that is my experience. dont know about the dragees. i've never worked with them. hope some of this helps.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 14 May 2006 , 2:16am
post #3 of 5

I made a cake today and stuck silver dragees to white fondant using white buttercream. I made a slight indentation on the fondant with the end of a paint brush (where the dragee was going to go), then put a small dot of icing, then the dragee.

nicolag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicolag Posted 14 May 2006 , 4:23am
post #4 of 5

Thank you both for your thoughts. I will use the paint brush suggestion to indent the spot for each dragee. The fondan tis red so I figured the red piping gel wold not be so obvious incase it oozes at all.

boring Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boring Posted 14 May 2006 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 5

So you get the same colour. To your Fondant add a little water and keep adding till it becomes like glue then glue your fondant pieces to your fondant, you then have exactly the same colour as you are using and it tastes the same.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%