Mini Tier Cake Pan From The '70's

Decorating By Kelrak Updated 30 Apr 2007 , 9:57pm by indydebi

Kelrak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelrak Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 10:09pm
post #1 of 10

Has anyone used this pan set? I have a question about it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wilton-Round-3-Mini-Tier-Cake-Pan_W0QQitemZ150116149157QQihZ005QQcategoryZ116002QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

It uses one cake mix to fill all 3 pans, which are 8", 6.5" and 5". I don't have the separator plates and icicle pillars so I usually just stack the 3 cakes.

If I double the recipe and make 2 of each cake, would I need to put each layer on a cardboard? Would I need to use dowels?

It seems like the top layers would be pretty lightweight, but I'd hate to find out the hard way!

Thanks!

Kelly

9 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 10

The cakeboards, in addition to supporting the tiered cake layers above (with the use of dowels) also make separating/removing the tiers for serving a lot easier.

HTH

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 12:16am
post #3 of 10

JanH answered your question, but I just wanted to let you know how valuable that cake pan set is! I had one years ago and over the years, it disappeared. So I am browsing ebay trying to find one. The cheapest I could get one was $35.... I paid $50 for a second one. These had the plates and legs, but still.....!!!

So don't lose it, no matter what you do!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 12:44am
post #4 of 10

Yes, watch that auction carefully. Just because it is only at $8.50 now, does not mean that it will sell for only $10. That's like the Wilton piano set. I committed to buy one from a friend in another forum. I can't wait to get it.

The set I want most is the Wilton Beveled cake pan set. I bid on one of these sets two years ago, and it went for nearly $200.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

lovincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lovincake Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 3:17am
post #5 of 10

Are yall talking about the mini tier sets from Wilton? If so, I have had the good fortune to come across 2 sets now, one round and one heart. One I found at a rummage sale in Montana and the other on ebay. I love them. Linda

Kelrak Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 1:38am
post #6 of 10

That's funny that it's so valuable nowadays. I'm not crazy about it because the top layer is a little slanted on the edges--not a straight edge. I'd like to have the separator plates and legs, but who knows what grandma did with them. My brother and cousin didn't want any of her cake stuff, so I got lucky. My aunt has a lot more old pans that she might be willing to sell me, but I don't have a lot of storage space for character pans.

I will be sure to hold onto it!

indydebi Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 2:04am
post #7 of 10

For anyone not familiar with it, here is a pic of one I made using these pans. They are great for showers. I used one as a centerpiece on the head table ... a miniature of the official wedding cake.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=indydebi&cat=0&pos=74

I'm not a fan of the flared edges either, but I freeze the 2 layers, then while frozen, lay on on the other and carve the flared part off. Perfect!

Kelrak Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 9:01pm
post #8 of 10

Oh my gosh! Indydebi, that is so cute. It looks really good when you make 2 of each layer. I have to try that. Maybe I'll make myself a mother's day cake.

I wonder if I can buy any separator plates or legs that will work with the pan set.

SpudCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpudCake Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 9:51pm
post #9 of 10

I have that set also. It does make a cute small tiered cake.

Joanne usaribbon.gif

indydebi Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 9:57pm
post #10 of 10

Kelrack, that's why I bought 2 sets .... I can fit all six pans on one rack in the oven.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%