Fondant Display Cake - Hopeless?

Decorating By jreimer Updated 29 Apr 2007 , 3:18pm by jreimer

jreimer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jreimer Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 8:11pm
post #1 of 14

I've been decorating tiered cakes for our bakery store display, one at a time, switching it out monthly. The last one I did had pink fondant flowers and it sits in the window at the bakery so it faded big time - which I've come to understand that it happens, especially to pink fondant.

The next cake I'd like to do would be covered in fondant completely, and I'd actually really like to do each tier in different shades of pink. Is there any hope in doing this?? Should I choose a different color? Or should I forget fondant altogether? I COULD ice it with Buttercream in the shades of pink if I had to, but I was really wanting to use fondant on this one.

Is a fondant display cake hopeless?

13 replies
Cakechick123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakechick123 Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 14

sunlight does fade most colors of fondant. Cant you do a white cake with colored ribbon or something.

What about RI accents, I dont think it fades as fast, maybe someone else knows?

jreimer Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 14

I dont think RI will work for this design. I'm trying to attach a mockup of the design I'd like to do and see what you all think.

I could get by with BC icing, but I think the accents would need to be fondant.
LL

darkchocolate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darkchocolate Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 10:16pm
post #4 of 14

I love the design. Sorry, I am not any help with the fondant issue.

darkchocolate

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 11:01pm
post #5 of 14

I thing you're fighting a loosing battle. Colors will fade in direct sunlight. The pic of the cake design is really cute though.

jreimer Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 12:10am
post #6 of 14

Does gumpaste fade like fondant? Would that be a good substitute?

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 12:31am
post #7 of 14

I love the cake design. It's so beautiful. That would make an awesome cake in pinks. Of course pink is my fav. I am assuming that you are using cake dummies? If so, can I ask if the fondant adheres good to the dummies? Do you use buttercream underneath the fondant or spray the dummy with water? Have you ever done a dummy with buttercream? Do you have any hints on how to do dummies that you can share? I am doing some dummies soon and have no clue where to start. Thanks.

FatAndHappy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FatAndHappy Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 12:32am
post #8 of 14

I have never done this - but if you test a piece first, this might work. There is a clear spray used on painters canvas after the picture is finished. It has a UV protectent in it so the colors can't fade when a painting is in a bright room, near a light, or in direct sunlight. Since no one would be eating the cake, it shouldn't matter. Not sure what you think of this. We had a pink display cake fade, so we airbrushed it a different/darker color and reused it!

Hope this helps! Great design by the way!!

Delicate-Lee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delicate-Lee Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 12:44am
post #9 of 14

We have this same problem! At work we have around 24 cakes on display and all in fondant. We are forever re doing them due to this problem... I dont think there is really anything that you can do... We now have most of our cakes in plae colours so they dont need to be replaced asmuch... But wehn we have time we have to re make most of them haha Its a shame... Royal icing cakes dont fade as fast as the fondant tho... anyways all the best if you find a way let me know! hehehe

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 12:57am
post #10 of 14

What about dusting it with pink dust? Would it still fade as fast? Maybe you could do it in pink fondant and when it fades just dust it with the pink to brighten it up again.

nefgaby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nefgaby Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 1:12am
post #11 of 14

I've heard that if you dust the cake with super pearl or spray it with a preval sprayer (super pearl + extract) it makes the colors last longer. I know the dust is an extra expense but might be worth it. HTH.

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emmascakes Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 6:42am
post #12 of 14

You could try one coat of confectioner's glaze which wouldn't make it very shiny but may protect it.

Or howabout looking into a UV filtering window blind? I've seen a clear sticky-back-plastic on clothes shop windows here in UK?

emmascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jreimer Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 3:18pm
post #14 of 14

Thank you all for your suggestions!

I don't have any of the luster dust on hand (something I NEED to get desperately!) - I think I may try doing them in white and airbrushing them, and see how that works... I'll do a couple tests first.

If that doesn't work, I think I'll try the UV coating spray that someone suggested, that doesn't bother me using that on the display cake... it'll take some testing I guess.

A UV blind - how smart of you!! That would just solve all my problems! I'll have to look into those and see what they cost and if they would look alright.

Sunflowerfreak - I've done only a few dummy designs. I use Styrofoam cakes, and prior to this one, I've always just done buttercream. I don't do anything to the cake before icing. I did have problems with my 1st one, that the Styrofoam kept moving as I was trying to ice it because its so light, so the next one, my husband and I created a 'clamp' device to hold it down in the middle. It works pretty well, the only problem is with the top tier, I have to take it off the clamp and then fill in the gap - which tends to be tricky... but I believe the clamp is well worth it.

I'm not sure how to do the fondant covering - I don't really want to sand down the edges of the Styrofoam to have softer edges because I keep reusing these... So I may cover in buttercream first and then fondant... we'll see how it goes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%