Its Official-Update And Price Questions

Decorating By mushbug9 Updated 14 May 2006 , 2:05am by fearlessbaker

mushbug9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mushbug9 Posted 13 May 2006 , 4:02am
post #1 of 10

Well here is the final cake. icon_surprised.gif I was too scared to try the plaid on the cake since it was for tomorrow, so I did this instead. I really do love the outcome. So I was thinking since I know him (he is my landlord) that I would give him a break on the price...also because I know that he will not only use me again, but he will tell others if he likes it. Does 30 sound like a good price...and by good, I mean does this look like a 40-50 dollar cake that I am giving him a good deal for? Thanks for all the responses earlier. icon_smile.gif
LL

9 replies
SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 13 May 2006 , 4:06am
post #2 of 10

I don't know pricing, I usually give my cakes away. But it is really pretty. The sides remind me of lattice with ivy and garden flowers trailing up the sides. Really pretty.

StandingForJesus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StandingForJesus Posted 13 May 2006 , 4:13am
post #3 of 10

Really beautiful flowers. My instructors have always told me how to price and it really works well for me. I've only had one person complain and cancel the order. You add the cost of everything you used to make the cake, your milk, sugar, etc.... Then whatever you come up with, you double that and that takes care of your time and labor. Hope this helps you. God Bless! - Ellie

egarman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
egarman Posted 13 May 2006 , 4:17am
post #4 of 10

I think he's getting a great deal for $30. It's really pretty. I love your flowers and the lattice work. Great Job!

DelightsByE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DelightsByE Posted 13 May 2006 , 6:34am
post #5 of 10

If you're only charging him $30 because he's your landlord, but you really feel like this is a 40 or 50 dollar cake (which I can totally see, by the way), you need to let him know as such, so he doesn't include, in his glowing reports of your fine work, the fact that it's only 30 dollars. Otherwise everyone else who is NOT your friend or landlord might get the impression that THEY can have that cake for 30 dollars too! shhh.gif

BellaRosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaRosa Posted 13 May 2006 , 3:15pm
post #6 of 10

Definitely let him know you are discounting his cakes because he is your landlord. Otherwise, everyone will expect them cheap. Your flowers are gorgeous & the lattice work is beautiful. I thinkn he will love it!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 13 May 2006 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 10

Please allow me to suggest the following:

Invoice him this way:

Price of cake: $40.00 or $50.00
Less Discount (25%): $10.00 (40%) $20.00
Total Amount Due $30.00 $30.00

this way, you are getting the price you decided to charge him, he knows what his price is, what his discount is, and what a bargain he is getting.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Kimanalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimanalynn Posted 13 May 2006 , 3:33pm
post #8 of 10

What brand of icing color do you use? Either I have bad stock, or am just too lazy; I can never get good rich colors like that. Its really pretty

mushbug9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mushbug9 Posted 13 May 2006 , 10:02pm
post #9 of 10

Well I gave it to him for 30 like I originally wanted to. I wasn't here when he picked it up so I didn't mention the discounted price but I was planning on letting him know that when he calls me later (I made him promise that he would to let me know what he and his wife thought)TY all for your help. My first cake...I couldn't have done it half as well without having found CC in March icon_smile.gif

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 14 May 2006 , 2:05am
post #10 of 10

maybe you could tell him not to dilvulge how much he paid for it since you would charge more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%