Does Anyone Know How To Make Merange Powder From Scratch?

Decorating By customcaker Updated 29 Apr 2007 , 12:34am by indydebi

customcaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
customcaker Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 8

I know there is a recipe to make royal icing using "homemade" merange powder. One of the ingredients is Cream of Tarter. I can't remember the recipe, can anyone post it here?
TIA!

7 replies
rocketgirl96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketgirl96 Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 8

I know Antonia74's royal icing recipe calls for cream of tarter but it also calls for Meringue powder as well. That's the only one I'm familar with so here's a bump for you.

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 8

Since merengue powder is made of dehydrated and pasteurized egg whites, I really don't see how you can make it at home. I would love to know how if it is possible though!

iamme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iamme Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 4:42pm
post #4 of 8

just a guess, but that recipe prolly calls for raw egg whites and cream of tartar. then add in the powdered sugar and stuff.

ikbush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ikbush Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 4:54pm
post #5 of 8

here is a recipe withot merengue powder:

Wilton's Quick-Poured Cookie Icing

This icing dries to a shiny, hard finish. Great to use for icing or to outline and fill in with tip 2 or 3.

1 cup sifted confectioners' sugar
2 teaspoons milk
2 teaspoons light corn syrup

Place sugar and milk in bowl. Stir until mixed thoroughly. Add corn syrup and mix well. For filling in areas, use thinned icing (add small amounts or light corn syrup until desired consistency is reached).

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 6:20pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamme

just a guess, but that recipe prolly calls for raw egg whites and cream of tartar. then add in the powdered sugar and stuff.

Well, that would just be regular merengue if you used raw egg whites. icon_smile.gif

The poster is looking for a recipe to make merengue POWDER, which is used instead of raw egg whites because you don't have to worry about the health issues associated with using raw eggs. icon_smile.gif

customcaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
customcaker Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 8:10pm
post #7 of 8

I thank you all for posting and I also decided to give myself another "bump"! It was years ago that I heard of this recipe as a way of getting a Royal Icing consistancy using Cream of Tarter to harden and no other "raw" ingredients. Maybe the recipe is just simply confectionary sugar, water and cream of tarter. I will try it and let you know, but maybe, just maybe someone out there has heard of this mixture as well.......I hope I'm not THAT old!!! icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 12:34am
post #8 of 8

based on the info in this link, I think it would more of a pain to make than to just buy it.

http://www.ochef.com/725.htm

And you can use egg whites in an icing recipe and it not turn into merinque.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%