Homemade Or Boxed Cakes?

Decorating By ajw Updated 28 Apr 2007 , 1:51pm by Mrs262

ajw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajw Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 4:32am
post #1 of 14

Hey, I was wondering......... what do you use when making, lets say a wedding cake or such. Homemade or boxed or is it just personal preference? Thanks,
Melissa icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 4:47am
post #2 of 14

I dont do wedding cakes yet, but I use cake mixes with the extender recipes and they turn out moist and delicious!! Here is the link that I use...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1977-Cake-Mix-extender.html

And I add a box of instant pudding mix. YUMMY!

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 6:19am
post #3 of 14
laweymers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laweymers Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 10:31am
post #4 of 14

I'm no expert, but I've done 2 wedding cakes and I try mixing flavors for bigger cakes.......like french vanilla with cherry chip or french vanilla with white. I use a raspberry filling or cherry filling and everyone loves it. I've also altered the box recipes with the box suggestions like for carrot cake when you add pineapple and nuts. They seem to go over really well and people don't usually know you used a mix from a box! icon_wink.gif

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 11:35am
post #5 of 14

I have used both boxed and scratch mixes. I too change up and mix flavors. It really depends how adventurous the bride feels like being is what I make. Some flavors you can't make from a boxed mix. But they both work for me. I also use the extender quite a bit. icon_biggrin.gif

Lisa422 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa422 Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 11:59am
post #6 of 14

I'm a newbie here and have never done a wedding cake. But I've only used scratch recipe's for celebration cakes. It is just a personal preference. I'm in the Wilton 1 class right now. For class purposes, I use box mixes. When I give my class cakes away, people seem to love those too. I don't really care for those myself. HTH icon_smile.gif

dyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dyna Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 12:08pm
post #7 of 14

I use box cake mixes but, I always doctor it up .1 more egg and 1 package of pudding. the fillings are what you can make homemade.

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 12:53pm
post #8 of 14

I use box and I doctor it up a little bit. I had rave reviews on the flavor.

cb_one Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cb_one Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 12:55pm
post #9 of 14

I started off with box but they taste like cakes from the grocery store to me.

I'm straight scratch now thumbs_up.gif

ladysonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladysonja Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 1:09pm
post #10 of 14

I haven't found a scratch cake that I have the guts to make yet.

I use doctored up box cakes... Extra Egg, Sour Cream, & a Puddin' mix.

Everyone loves my doctored up box cakes. Looking to experiment with different flavor combos.

Luby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luby Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 1:25pm
post #11 of 14

It depends on the kind of cake I'm making. If it's a carrot cake or red velvet I use a scratch recipe. I'm a big fan of doctored mixes, too! One of my all time favorites is DH Butter Recipe Golden made with 1 cup of sour cream, 4 eggs and 1/4 cup of oil.

hnogden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hnogden Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 1:26pm
post #12 of 14

I made the WASC on here ane I have had rave reviews on it. It is a docored mix and it is moist, delish, and flavorful. Everyone is amazed when I tell them it is the cheapest box mix I can find at Wal-Mart.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 1:41pm
post #13 of 14

I too am a box fan... I admitedly purchase by the case mind you the holiday mixes after the holiday is over and just save the sprinkles... however, I do doctor my mixes and if it is a specialty cake, pound, red velvet, carrot, coconut, I use from scratch family recipes.....

Mrs262 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs262 Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 1:51pm
post #14 of 14

I use boxes with the cake extender recipe from here on CC. Everyone loves it and I love to tell them that it's from a box, lol!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%