Pricing For Cupcakes?

Business By megamere Updated 27 Apr 2007 , 7:16pm by cakesondemand

megamere Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megamere Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 9

I would like to get into making cupcakes. How do you guys price these? I would obviously like to have a system where I charge more if there is fondant work or extensive decorating. Do you guys have a pricing guide you use? Thanks a ton!

8 replies
PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 9

I am charging $10 per dozen however, have not had many requests for them yet. If they do become a popular item $10/dozen is for plain b/c icing - fondant and fancy or special decor would be more. Time will tell on this. Hope this helps.
icon_smile.gif

kjt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjt Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:24pm
post #3 of 9

save icon_wink.gif

stlalohagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlalohagal Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 9

I do $24 for a cupcake cake. That's usually 24/25 cupcakes. I would probably charge the same for 2 dozen cupcakes and that's because by the time you buy the board to put them on and or a box to package them in and all the stuff, time, etc... it's about as much work as regular sheet cakes.

I know my neighbor just got 30 cupcakes with a simple swirled top and ring picks of the cars characters for $11.95 at Sam's club. She was apologizing all over about not ordering them from me and I said not to give it a second thought... I'm not Sam's club and I understand about getting a bargain, with 4 kids of my own it know all to well about it. I figure if they want something special they'll order them from me if not, by all means get a good deal... they're just kids and honestly eat them faster then they look at them.

Honestly, I started this because my daughter has severe nut allergies and I was faced with the problem that none of the bakeries guarantee a 'nut free' cake because they are all done in facilities that either have nuts around or use them in their cakes and couldn't guarantee one not falling into a mix or icing sometime. So not wanting to risk her life and a miserable trip to the ER and the Epi Pen experience her I am. I'm not doing it for the big bucks,.. maybe someday, but for friends and family as needed (as I enjoy it) but I'm not free either. It takes just as much time to do cupcakes, especially if you add in fondant decorations and any chocolate work, or even gumpaste. Wilton has some great new designs in their new cupcake book!

I don't know if that helped at all, good luck...

- Paula

megamere Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 9

Yes, a great help thank you!

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 5:27pm
post #6 of 9

I charge $20 per doz and have lots of orders for them. Just finished and order for 25 doz. Its extra for any fondant or piped roses on top and fillings are extra. Don't under charge yourself cupcakes are getting to be popular and you don't want to make less just because cupcakes are ordered. That works out to just $1.67 per cupcake.

megamere Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 5:50pm
post #7 of 9

Sharon- thanks. I think your pricing sounds good- you can spend just as much time on these little buggers as you can on a cake! How much extra do you charge for fondant and extra decorations? Do charge this for plain cupcakes or cupcakes that are decorated- kind of like the somewhat simple decorated cupcakes you would see on the wilton website?

Sorry, lots of questions!

megamere Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 9

I checked out your website Sharon- beautiful! I think I answered my own questions! Thanks!

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 7:16pm
post #9 of 9

If its simple decorations I don't charge extra such as piped rose buds sprinkles, simple things. Large roses fondant flowers I charge .35 extra per cupcake and fillings or fondant covered .50 extra per cupcake. Thank you glad you like my website.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%