Does Duff's Staff Sculpt Cakes At Room Temperature? And How?

Decorating By berryblondeboys Updated 15 May 2007 , 4:56pm by jesaltuve

berryblondeboys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
berryblondeboys Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 2:50pm
post #1 of 22

I was watching the show last night and I noticed this time and the last that the gal (sorry can't remember her name) who made the slot machine last week and the the Mexican napping on the cactus this week seems to be doing the sculpting on room temerature cakes... HOW do you do that? I watched another show eons ago that said they should be frozen for easier sculpting.

I tried sculpting ONCE and all I got was crumbs everywhere and pieces of cake falling all over... what's the trick???

Melissa

21 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:02pm
post #2 of 22

Duff does not freeze any of his cakes...his webstie even says that right on the front page (GO Duff!! thumbs_up.gif ) I would venture to say he has to have a cake recipe that is a firm cake though! Here is a link to his site - Duff's - notice....Always Fresh, Never Frozen!

berryblondeboys Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:42pm
post #3 of 22

Doy never thought to look up his site - duh!!!

Then I read this, "How much are your cakes?
All of our cakes start at $500. Tiered cakes start at $8 a serving, and go up from there."

Holy smokes - and they are BOOKED all the time.... wow!!!

Melissa

potatocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
potatocakes Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:53pm
post #4 of 22

They may not freeze, but they did mention last night before putting the fondant on that they really needed the cake to be chilled so it would be firmer, so I think they must chill their cakes really well which I would think would help with the sculpting.

Loucinda Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 5:01pm
post #5 of 22

I took that comment for needing to be chilled was because they were in Miami and it was sooo hot and humid there.

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 22

Nope, he said cakes should be chilled cakes before fondanting (?) and they can't do that because they had no fridges available or big enough.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 22

I carve my scratch chiffon (but prefer pound cake for it) at room temp all the time. You need to have a really sharp knife for some of the stuff, but I prefer to use scissors wherever I can.

sassyredhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassyredhead Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 6:00pm
post #8 of 22

Hey KoryAK, just curious about the scissors...what kind do you use? That sounds way easier than a knife.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 6:33pm
post #9 of 22

Just the regular 3 pack for 4 bucks from Fred Meyers icon_smile.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 7:13pm
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK

I carve my scratch chiffon (but prefer pound cake for it) at room temp all the time. You need to have a really sharp knife for some of the stuff, but I prefer to use scissors wherever I can.

I do the same....kitchen shears work great in some cases.
Fondant definately goes on smoother when the cake is chilled. The cake is firmer and the icing is firmer...and it will not bulge with the weight of the fondant. When the cake warms back up to room temperature, the fondant has set and it stays smooth.
Also...I don't think sticking a cake in the freezer for a while to stiffen it up for carving constitutes a frozen cake. I think when Duff says his cakes are never frozen...he means baked and frozen for use on a later date.

berryblondeboys Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 7:29pm
post #11 of 22

If you watch them carve, those cakes are LOOSE/FLOPPY. THey don't look like they are firm or stiff. They might be a denser cake than what most people are used to, but it doesn't look unusually so and they are definitely not rigid in any way. I would be so afraid to carve a cake 10-12 layers high! UGH!

Guess that's why their starting price is $500, which shocks me even more when I see them being bought by kids - like last week the scrabble cake?

And the one episode it was a girlfriend's/new wife's gift to her husband (it was Chinese take-out). I'm SURE he thgout it was cool until he heard/discovered the price. My husband would KILLLLLLLL me if I spent money so frivolously.

Melissa

Loucinda Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 8:45pm
post #12 of 22

I agree, those cakes they work on are not cold/chilled when they are carving them at their shop. You can see how soft the cake is. I've never seen any sign of big refrigerators/freezers in their shop either. LOTS of counter space & shelves there though!

thecakemaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaven Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 8:56pm
post #13 of 22

I carve at room temp as well. You need a very sharp, high-quality knife. That means put the Farberwear back with the rest of the set and buy a single individual knife from the cutlery store. Yes, it will cost you about $75 or more, but it's very worth it to not ruin your cake while trying to carve. My hubby bought me some great Messermeister knives and although he did not buy them for me to use for my cakes, I love using them for this. I even take one along when I am cutting/serving wedding cake icon_wink.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 8:57pm
post #14 of 22

I've never frozen any of my cakes that I have carved, so it can be done with out them being frozen.

Loucinda Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 9:33pm
post #15 of 22

Thanks ladies, that is great to know, I do NOT freeze cakes and I have shyed away from doing any of the sculpted cakes for that reason. It is good to know you don't have to! thumbs_up.gif

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 9:50pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcrew

Thanks ladies, that is great to know, I do NOT freeze cakes and I have shyed away from doing any of the sculpted cakes for that reason. It is good to know you don't have to! thumbs_up.gif

Just FYI...when you freeze a cake to sculpt it, it's merely for a 1/2 hour or so so stiffen it up. It's not a deep freeze where the cake becomes rock solid. Absolutely nothing is compromised, and by the time you finish sculpting it, the cake is back to normal.
thumbs_up.gif

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 11:44pm
post #17 of 22

I usually just carve regular cake. Not frozen I mean.

steffla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steffla Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 11:58pm
post #18 of 22

Did you know Duff lists cake central on his website as a good resource for all cake decorating questions!!!!

berryblondeboys Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 12:16am
post #19 of 22

I wonder how many of the cake decorators you all talk about (I'm really only familiar with Duff) ever pop in here to see what we are saying about their show or style or books?

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 12:17am
post #20 of 22

I usually refrigerate or 'hard chill' my cake before sculpting. By hard chill, I mean I stick it in the freezer for an hour or so. Like adven68 said, by time I'm done the cake is back to room temp and as fresh as it was right out of the oven.

Rosie_from_MD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie_from_MD Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 12:33am
post #21 of 22

I'm not great at this yet and have only done a dozen or so cakes, but I have nver frozen any of them before I carved them. I bake my cakes the day before I decorate, then the next day I just stack and carve at room temp. I just always make sure the cakes have had a good long time to cool down. HTH

jesaltuve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jesaltuve Posted 15 May 2007 , 4:56pm
post #22 of 22

I have always wondered...when you watch the show, there are shelves behind them with finished cakes. I wonder how long any one of those cakes sits out before it gets to the client. There must be a hefty number of orders on nay given saturday or sunday and they've got to work all week to complete those? Just curious... icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%