'ondant Bows'

Decorating By pelusa Updated 5 May 2005 , 7:53pm by CakesByEllen

pelusa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pelusa Posted 4 May 2005 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 6

Hi,

I need help making fondant bows. I tried and it was a disaster. They all cracked. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Can someone please help

5 replies
CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 4 May 2005 , 7:04pm
post #2 of 6

Did the fondant crack or did the bow itself crack....I use tissue to stuff in my loops until it dries...how thin did you roll the fondant...I know if it gets too thin that when it starts to drys it does crack.

pelusa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pelusa Posted 4 May 2005 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 6

I rolled it aout about the thickness of a nail file. Then I put it hanging to dry on a broom stick, as they started to dry they also startrd to crack. Is there another way?

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 4 May 2005 , 7:23pm
post #4 of 6

add some tylose to your fondant, it should strengthen it enough that you can make your loops with less brakage

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 4 May 2005 , 7:35pm
post #5 of 6

I leave mine over the broomstick just until they start to firm up, then I take them off and stand them on their side to dry. Make sure you aren't rolling too thin. This way always works for me. I've used premade fondant and MMF.

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 5 May 2005 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 6

I just did the same thing when I made this huge bow for a 10" square cake. I made the loops (I used Wilton's fondant roller with the rings to get them perfect height - 1/16"?) and hung them on a broomstick for about 15-20 minutes. Then I put them on their sides on the counter to finish drying. I also flipped them once or twice and fussed over the shape a bit before they totally hardened. The bow looked really nice, but it needed about 16 loops and could have used more. I "glued" the loops together with some royal. I wish I had tinted the royal the color of the bow though so it would have been less noticable.

Good Luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%