Wilton Course 4 Fondant/gumpaste

Decorating By mommabuda Updated 27 Apr 2007 , 11:03pm by crislen

mommabuda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommabuda Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 12

anyone here taken this yet? i was wondering what you all learn in it... they don't have the kit or book at my HL yet and i might have to teach this icon_eek.gif thanks!

11 replies
jenstastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenstastycakes Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 12

I am signed up to start this next wedensday, I purchased my kit but have not yet received my booklet. When I do I can let you know what the class covers and such. thumbs_up.gif

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 12

I'm going in for lesson 3 tonight. Here's what each lesson in the book covers:

1- tools & supplies, handling & storing fondant, tinting & marbelizing fondant, covering a cake board with fondant, covering a cake with fondant (we actually brouht a cake & covered it week 2)

2- making gum glue, fondant drapes, garlands & borders, and the base for the carnations

3- gumpaste daisy, carnations, fantasy flower, and leaf

4- fondant "favor box," cutout overlays & inlay, ball border, punch border & rope border

If you'd like other details about how it went in my class of 5 people, let me know!

sassyredhead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sassyredhead Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 12

I think albumangel covered it. I completed it in March and personally think that I could teach it now. I learned a lot (as I had never even worked with fondant or gumpaste before that EVER), but the book makes it super simple and as long as the teacher has done each of the techniques before, I think it would be easy to teach.

The photo of mine with the orange daisies was my final cake for that class. And, like I said, I had never worked with fondant or gum paste before at all. I feel very confident now after taking the course.

hth

mommabuda Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 7:08pm
post #5 of 12

wow, thanks! I'm surprised at all the flowers they do. I will have to be teaching myself this so I'm glad it sounds easy enough to do. I'm not a huge fan of working with fondant but this seems relatively simple (except for swags, those just scare me!) I'm going to have to go order the book so I can check it out myself. Albumangel, I'd love to hear how the class went & Sassyredhead, gorgeous daisies! I love them!!!

PaulaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PaulaT Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 12

After taking this class I was very disappointed. The class covered much of what was already taught in the Wilton Class 3. If you've already taken the previous classes this is rather redundent (sp?) and most students are ready for more advanced techniques but that's just my opinion. It covers very simple fondant borders, covering a cake board with fondant (easy) and making the little fondant treasure box (easy). Two fondant covered cakes are also made. The only thing I really appreciated learning was the Fantasy Flower which I recreated myself to make it more life-like and to resemble a full rose or almost a peony. Anyway, good luck and hope you enjoy it.

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 8:09pm
post #7 of 12

i was a little disappointed with it too. i've taken the other three courses and been decorating for years though. we skipped over a bunch of stuff because we already knew it, so each class took less than an hour. but learning the carnations was great and totally worth it.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 10:34pm
post #8 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabuda

wow, thanks! I'm surprised at all the flowers they do. I will have to be teaching myself this so I'm glad it sounds easy enough to do.

Are you a WMI? If so you should have recieved a package from Wilton including the kit and the book. If you have not, you should contact your supervisor and ask her about it.

mommabuda Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 11:17pm
post #9 of 12

I just sorta "got the job" today so I will be receiving it all in the mail shortly.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 3:47am
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabuda

I just sorta "got the job" today so I will be receiving it all in the mail shortly.

Sorry I realised you were the same one from the other post after the fact.

Congrats! icon_smile.gif

Wait until you get the book and kit, then you get to play, play and play. HeHe.

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 4:34am
post #11 of 12

I hope this helps!!!!!!!!!!!

Course 4 Fondant & Gum Paste Reminder

What to bring to Lesson 1:

Tools from your Kitchen:

Reusable, disposable cloths
2T white veg. shortening
2T cornstarch
2T Powdered sugar
toothpicks
corsage pin
Scissors
scotch tape
plastic food storage wrap
2 or 3 gallon size food storage bags
2 or 3 quart size food storage bags

Decorating Tools and Supplies:

Fondant and Gum paste Student Kit
12" cake circles- 1 package + fanci-foil
or 12" silver cake bases
Roll and cut mat
20" rolling pin
small angled spatula
tapered spatula
disposable decorating gloves (optional)

Icings:

1 package of White Fondant (24oz size)
1 Fondant Multi pack (primary/pastel)
Piping Gel/white piping gel tube

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 11:03pm
post #12 of 12

I just finished this course last night ... and found that if you have ever worked with fondant at all this course will be super easy. We never once went the full 2 hours. The only new thing I learned was the carnations. The fantasy flower was pretty similar to it.

I expected more gumpaste flowers (we learned 3: the daisy, the carnation and the fantasy flower) so now I'm on the search for better classes.

Personally, I think it would be a great if you're a complete newbie to fondant and have a good teacher, other than that I'd pass it up.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%