3-D Dora Cake??? Really? How !!! Yikes!!

Decorating By monnitas0808 Updated 5 May 2007 , 3:09pm by monnitas0808

monnitas0808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monnitas0808 Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 2:12pm
post #1 of 19

Hello everyone!! We are in our new shop!! I'll post pictures later it's all settled in. okay but a customer peeked in and asked if I could do a Dora the explorer cake in 3-D!!! she showed me a picture of a 3-D raggedyAnn and it looked pretty simple but come work time I know I'm going to be pulling my eyes out!!! Does anyone have any advice on how to get started?? I'm thinking that for the head it should be the sports ball right? and for the body maybe round pan? Have no idea what to do for the arms and legs! IF ANYONE HAS ANY IDEA OR CAN HELP ME OUT PLEASE I WOULD TRULY APPRECIATE IT!! THANKS YOU GUYS AND HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY!!

18 replies
Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 2:44pm
post #2 of 19

congrats on the new place.
I made a 3-d dora cake (it was my first of the kind), I got the idea from coolest-birthdaycakes.com
I used the standing bear pan. shaped the face more round and then i put the cake on top of a round cake bc the bear is not very big. I wish my computer was working, i could show you the pic.
good luck

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 6:11pm
post #3 of 19

I've never done one but how about ball pan head 3 -8 inch rounds for body carved down to shape and rice crispy treats shaped and the whole thing covered in fondant?

CakesbyMonica Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyMonica Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 6:31pm
post #4 of 19

Here is that 3D Dora cake Chefperl was talking about, its the 4th and 5th cake down.

http://www.coolest-birthday-cakes.com/dora-the-explorer.html

Chefperl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chefperl Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 19

thanks cakesbymonica for posting that link

monnitas0808 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 1:40pm
post #6 of 19

GREAT IDEAS!! DUHHHH I NEVER THOUGHT OF THE RICE TREATS!! LOL!!! i WILL GIVE IT A GO AND KEEP YOU ALL POSTED!!

monnitas0808 Posted 2 May 2007 , 2:21pm
post #7 of 19

Real quick question guys....How do you work RiceKrispie treats and fondant. I mean what rice krispys do you guys use and how do I mold it. Oh and do I cover it with buttercream then the fondant?? Thanks advice would be appreciated thumbs_up.gif

MOnique

markbolin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
markbolin Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:25pm
post #8 of 19

I did a dora cake about a month ago. its in my photos. I used a 9x13 cake pan and then carved the entire shape from that. P.M me if you want specifics. I hope this helps.

kjea322 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjea322 Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:39pm
post #9 of 19

Here is one that I saw on the Wilton Cake site in the Contest Galleries.

http://www.wilton.com/contests/yourtakeoncake/2004/index.cfm

Jennifer

HammIamm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HammIamm Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:42pm
post #10 of 19

i am thinking, you'll need a readdy good suppost for this.. depending on how many servings required. I usually screw 2 dowls into a wodden base, which is covered in fancy foil. I then wound stack cake round peircing them with the dowels. Have the tops of the dowels attached by a smaller 1/4 board which could be the "neck." and the stack more cake for the head. Freeze. carve. and ice??

imbkay13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imbkay13 Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:55pm
post #11 of 19

I made a 3-D Dora, it's in my photo's. I used the wonder mold pan and an 8 inch round for the body, the head was hollow fondant (big pain), rice krispie treats covered in fondant would work much better, just get the RCT as smooth as possible and cover with fondant.

lindav76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindav76 Posted 2 May 2007 , 3:55pm
post #12 of 19

just an idea hope it helps
you could make the dora head and arms only ,the squared one could be presents . she could be like poping out of the present
be extra careful when moving your cake it took me all day making this cake and the person who picked it up was driving so fast the head just fell apart and ruined the rest of the cake, stained it red
it never made it to the party
the head is the ball pan .
thumbs_up.gif good luck

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=337183

monnitas0808 Posted 2 May 2007 , 9:43pm
post #13 of 19

WOW!! thanks for that Dora cake picture it's amazing!! Wow!! Now I have to attempt to live up to that...haha!!! Oh holy frosted cupcakes I'm so nervous icon_surprised.gif!!!!! That ELMO is soooo cute!!!!!!! Love it! I think I will go with the head as ball pan maybe a 6' for the neck 8' for the body? and ricekrispys for the arms and legs. What do you guys think??

monnitas0808 Posted 4 May 2007 , 7:31pm
post #14 of 19

HERE IS THE END RESULT OF THE DORA CAKE I HAD ASKED ABOUT. THANK YOU ALL THAT HELPED ME OUT!!! IF IT WASN'T FOR YOUR ADVICE AND IDEAS SHE WOULD HAVE BEEN DOWN THE TRASH ALREADY!! THANK YOU AND ANY COMMENTS OR SUGGESTION ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!
LL

lindav76 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindav76 Posted 4 May 2007 , 8:59pm
post #15 of 19

my daughter is sitting next to me and she told me the write this ( shes lovely , i want that for my birthday ) something i would do would be outline the outside of the eyes .just to create a stop start point but other than that it is lovely

ShayShay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShayShay Posted 4 May 2007 , 9:13pm
post #16 of 19

great job monique!! i think she turned out amazing, you are very talented. good luck with your new shop, i'm sure you will do fine!

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 4 May 2007 , 11:37pm
post #17 of 19

she's awesome! Congrats on her, which pans did you use and did you mold using the rice crispies too?! thumbs_up.gif

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 5 May 2007 , 12:16am
post #18 of 19

Wow! Your Dora looks great, just like a guest at the party=) Jen

monnitas0808 Posted 5 May 2007 , 3:09pm
post #19 of 19

You are absolutley right Linda I should have done that....I was wondering why she looked extremely exicted....i know it wasn't because she was going to the party cause you know how that ended up...haha...but you are so right. Next time I should have outlined it thank you so much for that advice thumbs_up.gif . I used 8' pans for the body (I think I'll change that to oval ones next time) she came out a little chunky. and a ball sports pan for the head. For the arms and legs i used rice krispy treats. Thanks so much you guys I really appreciate the advice icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%