Large Batch Of Ganache?

Decorating By beachcakes Updated 10 May 2006 , 2:59pm by beachcakes

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 9 May 2006 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make a large batch of ganache for an upcoming wedding cake. It will be whipped for the filling (three layers each tier - 16-12-8-6). I'm guessing 20 cups, i really have no clue?

But also, I'm wondering can I just make one huge batch or do I have to make a lot of small batches? How far in advance can I make the filling?

Also, does anyone have a recipe for whipped ganache? I've seen quite a few ganache recipes with different ratios of choc to cream - not sure which is best for whipping.

THanks in advance - sorry for all the questions!

4 replies
CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 10 May 2006 , 11:41am
post #2 of 5

You will need to make at least a large enough batch to cover the cake you are covering because you need to pour and need enough to cover the tops and sides with that 1 pour. You do not want to try and pour twice else you will see imperfections. I use 12 oz or heavy cream to 12 oz of ghirardelli semisweet chocolate and 1 tablespoon butter to cover 1 8 inch cake with spare of coarse. I would use at least 24 oz of each to make sure you cover that 16 inch and then a little less for the other cakes. The left over that drips to the bottom of your cookie sheet can then be mixed with the other batches you make and used or you can whip it for the filling. when you whip it it will become lighter brown and thicker. If you want it more stiff you can add small amounts of powdered sugar until you get what you want. I would make your batches of ganache per cake as you are ready to cover them. So I would make a batch for my 16 and cover. Then my 12 and cover. etc....... Hope this helps.

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 10 May 2006 , 11:55am
post #3 of 5

Beach,
Are you pouring over or are you waiting for
it to thicken up and spread? I probably would make
four recipes at a time. I'm actually making some
now. 16oz cream and 16 oz choc. 2 tbsp orange
liquor.
vicki

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 10 May 2006 , 12:08pm
post #4 of 5

I misread the post. It seems you are not pouring but whipping it. In that case you can make 1 big batch to use. I would start with 16 ounces since it makes a good bit and work from there.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 10 May 2006 , 2:59pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks ceculsk and vixterfsu! I plan to use this as a whipped filling only, not pouring. I didnt' know if making one large batch would work - sometimes recipes get finicky if you double or triple them... And i'd hate to waste all that cream/choc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%