Impression Mat On Fondant

Decorating By pope77 Updated 27 Apr 2007 , 12:18am by pope77

pope77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pope77 Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:17pm
post #1 of 9

I am making a castle cake and bought impression mats that are supposed to be used with clay. They are small squares (from michaels) The first time I tried to use them the impression matt by the time I put the fondant on the cake and smoothed it down the impressions weren't visable. icon_confused.gif Is my fondant too thick? What can I do so that it is visible?
HELP!!

8 replies
projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 9

I just had the same problem with some that were made for clay. The lines are not all that deep. I guess the ones made for cakes have deeper grid marks. I just laid it on and pressed down as hard as I could and it worked okay. I think if you make the fondant too thin, it will stretch out too much and you will lose your design all together.

Good luck.

umfalcon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
umfalcon Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 9

have you tried to redo the impression while on the cake?? could you get a cookie cutter with the same pattern?

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 9

hmmm, I am going to be trying some impression mats too...I wonder if there is a difinative answer for us. Bump

cookieman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieman Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 4:01pm
post #5 of 9

I use impression mats made for clay when I am doing fondant-covered cookies. Because the surface is small, the impression does not distort or disappear.

I think impression mats made for cakes are to be used AFTER the cake is covered with fondant. Don't take my word for it though. Hopefully someone with the right experience will eventually give us an answer.

pope77 Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 9

Hmmm I have tried to use the mat after the fondant is on the cake and it didn't seem to do too much. I was thinking of just trying to draw bricks on the cake using a spatula....Anyone else have any ideas

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 6:35pm
post #7 of 9

I wish I knew.

mmgiles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmgiles Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 8:24pm
post #8 of 9

pope77, I dont have any experience with impression mats and hopefully someone will answer you because i was planning to draw lines forming diamonds on a cake soon. But I did make a cake tht was a fish pond. I got the idea from a user on here who called her a wishing well. She said she used rolled butter cream to make her rocks for the side. THat seemed to difficult so I iced the cake with buttercream and used chocolate covered nuts, cremes and fruits. They come in assorted packages for rocks. Looked pretty similar but so much easier than shaping a bunch of different sized and colored rocks. They already came in different sizes and had slight color variations. I thought rocks were similar to bricks. Maybe you could use an alternative, that is unless you're set on fondant in which case I hope someone answer for both of our sakes.

pope77 Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 12:18am
post #9 of 9

Thanks. Any other ideas out there????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%