Hey, Mac Are You Left Handed?

Decorating By mommachris Updated 9 May 2006 , 2:46am by dandelion

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 8 May 2006 , 4:54am
post #1 of 14

I was just wondering cause your shells go the opposite direction as mine.
I was trying to teach my son how to do shells and it wasn't working...He's a lefty.

mommachris

13 replies
chrisrich Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chrisrich Posted 8 May 2006 , 5:39am
post #2 of 14

Well, I'm not Mac, but I AM left-handed and my shells go in the opposite direction. When I took decorating classes, most things I did were the opposite direction from everyone else. The instructor had me sit directly across from her so that I could just 'mirror' everything she did. That seemed to work pretty well for most things. Just an FYI...

mami2sweeties Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mami2sweeties Posted 8 May 2006 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 14

I am a lefty too! I have thought about that and I always have to look and I do make my shells/border go righty. I try to make it righty. But sometimes I forget and go lefty. I glad that others just go lefty because I used to think people would notice the cake looked different if I didn't do it a right handed persons way.

Candi_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candi_Cakes Posted 8 May 2006 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 14

haha, I'm a lefty too! On the first night of class, the teacher asked if there were any lefties, and I was the only one! It is hard for her to show me how to pipe the icing, cause I want to do the opposite. I like chrisrich's idea...next time, I'll sit across from her. All my piping goes in the opposite direction of the classes! Also, my handwriting does the "lefty lean" Anyone else have that problem? LOL

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 8 May 2006 , 1:57pm
post #5 of 14

..I'm a lefty too and I also do my borders in the opposite direction! My instructor had never taught a lefty before......whew, was that ever fun!!

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 8 May 2006 , 2:01pm
post #6 of 14

I'm a lefty too...I have a tough time writing, with icing also....

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 9 May 2006 , 12:37am
post #7 of 14

Also a lefty, but i got to learn from my aunt who too is left handed. It made things so much easier!!!!
A question to lefties... have you bought the left handed rose tips and did you find they worked for you? I bought them, but can't figure out how to use them since I learnt my roses using the right handed tips.

Kimanalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimanalynn Posted 9 May 2006 , 12:51am
post #8 of 14

I am a lefty! My instructor did the same thing; Any lefties? Of course, I was the only one. She looked at me and said, "Oh, this is gonna be fun"!. To answer your question about the tips, I do have a few left handed tips, I thinks they are the victorian rose tips, and they seem to work ok. It feels odd, but it somehow works out! And hey you guys, don't conform to being the same! Embrace your difference as a lefthander!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 9 May 2006 , 1:10am
post #9 of 14

Lefty here too, unfortunately my teacher didn't have a clue on how to teach leftys. Everything I did was the opposite direction of everyone else. The hardest thing for me is trying to make rosebuds, does anyone have any suggestions?

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 9 May 2006 , 1:16am
post #10 of 14

Lefty here too....don't despair gals...we are the ones who are in our right minds... thumbs_up.gif [/b]

Peachshortcake Posted 9 May 2006 , 2:14am
post #11 of 14

lol Ihatefondant... clever pun there.
Maybe wilton should consider doing lefty classes. I'm sure one of the talented lefties on here would be glad to teach it.

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 9 May 2006 , 2:24am
post #12 of 14

I just had to read this thread!

My 4 yr old is a lefty! It's so neat to watch how he does things so "differently" than our 5 yr old, and us, lol!

He doesn't really realize that not everyone uses their left hand yet.

I just wanted to say, Yay for lefties!! (lol)

I've always heard that lefties tend to be more artistic, etc. Is this true????

Peachshortcake Posted 9 May 2006 , 2:40am
post #13 of 14

It is mmdd. The right side of the brain is the side that processes creativity and stuff. Its also the side that processes the processes of the left side of the body.
Hence why so many artists and writers are left handed, while its rare to find a left handed accountant. Saying that there are a ton of cake decorators out there who are right handed and are extremely talented.

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 9 May 2006 , 2:46am
post #14 of 14

i'm generally left handed. but i hold the piping bag with my right hand. was a little awkward at first, but my instructor insisted (this was when i took a couple classes in china--really cool but kinda strict) now i'm used to using my right hand and it's not that hard. much easier when trying to learn something out of a book that only has instructions for the right handed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%