Never Felt So Low - Feel Like Pulling The Pin!

Business By Ariesn8k Updated 25 Apr 2007 , 5:30am by maryjsgirl

Ariesn8k Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariesn8k Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 10:41pm
post #1 of 11

Hello to all.
I have been a quiet lurker of these forums for some time and have gained alot of knowledge from the great people here who so readily share their skills and knowledge.
I have just recently had some bad things happen, and feel like noone around me in my 'real world' understands, so thought I would turn to goold ol' cake central, as I'm sure some of you will have been where I am right now or will at least be able to empathise.
I have been in business for almost a year. We have some fantastic weeks where we make loads, and others where we make very little and it just seems to be a continuous battle. We have been slowly building up a great reputation with loads of word of mouth referrals, one cake we did last week was the 9th for that particular family!
Anyway, we are fast approaching winter here and the wedding season is coming to an end. The business has very little money in the bank and times are gettng tough. Creditors need to be paid, but the incoming business is just keeping the rent and employees paid. So I'm feeling stressed about that, and then yesterday happened.
A bit of background. I have been having health issues lately, and as my only full time employee cannot work with fondant, I have been getting a lady in on a casual basis to do the fondant wedding cakes when I have been too sick to do them myself. This lady has been doing cakes for 30 years (or so she says) and is a member of one of the local guilds. Last week I got sick again, and called her in to do a chocolate fondant covered wedding cake, with gumpaste lillies. She did say to me that she hasn't worked with chocolate fondant before, but to me there is no difference so I assured her it would be fine, as it is just like working with normal fondant. (to me anyway, does anyone here find it different to work with?)
I left it in her hands, and only returned to work yesterday.
Some friends of the bride whose cake this was came in yesterday (who happen to be guild memebers also, although not the same guild) and were absolutely appalled at the standard of work. The cake has not been touched, and instead they had eaten the 2 large cutting cakes that we had also provided. They had the actual cake in the boot of their car to show me, and I was stunned when I saw it. It was such a half hearted attempt that I felt tears spring to my eyes. It was terrible. The fondant was the sloppiest job I have ever seen, gathers all around the corners, cracks and ganache showing through, and the lillis were awful. Apparently the bride was devastated, and hated it. The bride was absolutely LOVELY to deal with, and I feel just terrible. The lady who done the cake has done fondant cakes for me before and they have been great. Admittedly I hadn't got her to do gumpaste flowers for me before, but in her portfolio they looked great so I had no qualms about getting her to make the lillies also.

I Just feel so depressed about it all, there goes our reputation down the gurgler as this family is very influential around town. I havn't spoken to the lady who did the cake yet, as I thought I'd better calm down before I apprached her about it.

This incident coupled with the fact we are still struggling as a business has just affected me so much and I feel like pulling the pin on the whole thing.
I just feel SO sad right now. I feel like my dreams have been squashed.

10 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 11

I am SO sorry! I'd like to give your employee a kick in the a** for you! I don't have any great words of wisdom except for just hang in there and get a PT job if you have to so you can cover the bills till the next busy season. icon_sad.gif Don't give up!!!

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 11:41pm
post #3 of 11

Wow! That's really difficult!

Have you offered anything to the bride & her family to try to smooth things over? Maybe a free cake for another party, or their anniversary?

I know you feel badly right now, but I think it's a great story for a lot of us to read and learn from. When business is good or you are not well, you've got to be able to trust others to do some of the work! I'm not sure how you could have avoided this, but maybe training everyone who works for you to work with fondant as well as you do? That might be a great thing to do during your slow season!

I've been in business for myself for a while, and you are smart to give yourself a few days to cool down before making any big decisions!

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 12:29am
post #4 of 11

I wish I could say something that would help. I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I want to wish you the best with your health and your business.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 12:42am
post #5 of 11

Is this the first time you left her alone? I am wondering if that is the problem, that she thought you would never find out. Did you pay her for her work yet?

If I was near you, I would come by and help, but unfortunately, I am on the other side of the big blue marble.

Did you photograph the cake to show her?

Theresa icon_smile.gif

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 12:42am
post #6 of 11

I am really sorry that you are feeling so down right now. icon_sad.gif I'm not in business for myself but can understand how worrisome this must be for you. I have had a lot of health issues myself for most of my adult life and the only thing I can offer is a bigggggggg HUG and hope everything works out ok for you.

cocorum21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocorum21 Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 12:53am
post #7 of 11

WOW, I don't know what to tell you either. I just wanted to say that I hope that this doesn't affect your business. Maybe the bride will understand about you having to hire out because you were sick and maybe just offer to make a cake for her for another occassion? I hope everything works out for you.

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 12:54am
post #8 of 11

Blessing you in your struggle.
I feel the place you are in.
It is so difficult to know sometimes whether to stand down or keep pushing but looking after your health has to come first.
Please take care of you first, and know that there will always be opportunities to re-create what you perceive is slipping away.
The lady that did the cake should have warned you about the trouble she was having and that is dissappointing....it is always the owner that ends up wearing it and so stressful. Wishing you the best.
-cp

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 3:10am
post #9 of 11

My heart feels heavy for you as I read your post. I can feel your hurt through your words.

I wish I had inspirational words for you right now but I bet that other business owners here have had their share of difficult times and will have encouraging words and advice.

I do believe that how you handle your customer will be what "people" remember in the end because the bride will have to say how you "resolved" this situation or tried your best to make good of a bad situation. I can tell that this is MORE than a business to you and I am sure that the bride can/will see how sincere you are.

Sending big hugs your way.

bj

Silver044 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Silver044 Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 3:48am
post #10 of 11

Oh my gosh that is just awful!
I sure do hope you feel better soon. I don't like to see another CC member hurting like this.
I hope everything gets resolved. Please don't do anything that you may regret later but something needs to be done with your employee.

Best Wishes!

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 5:30am
post #11 of 11

In reading your words and all the stress of the business, worries of money, and being sick I am worried you could be suffering with some depression or you're in danger of it. Please try to take care of yourself while trying to deal with it all. I know it's almost impossible, but you need to try to stop worrying so much. Worrying has never fixed anything for anyone, it just makes things harder and you sicker.

One thing came to mind while reading about your business. I know a few local bakeries around here have accounts with different restaurants to provide their desserts. One in particular just had a story about them in the newspaper. One of the Pizza Huts(huge pizza chain restaurant) gives their customers cakes when they come in on their birthdays and the bakery provides them.

Good luck in whatever you do!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%