Mmf Troubles.

Decorating By eyeofhorus Updated 26 Apr 2007 , 1:18am by chaptlps

eyeofhorus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eyeofhorus Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 9:58pm
post #1 of 10

I made mmf for the first time. it turned out well.tasted even better than i figured but.......it seems to dry like ,marshmellow left out over night. it doesnt have anice texture. what can i do to make the texture better? also,can you do trims,borders and shapes with this? it doesnt seem to be stiff enough. but then a again it tears like a dried out marshmellow. icon_rolleyes.gif
thank you in advance for all your help.

9 replies
sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 10:03pm
post #2 of 10

Stick it in the microwave for about 5-10 seconds. That will soften it up. Take some solid Crisco and work it in. That should help with the dryness also. I love MMF.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 10

Have you tried kneading in some shortening? That seems to help alot in this situation. First just rub some shortening (crisco) on your hands and on the kneading surface. Keep kneading your fondant with greased hands until it reaches the consistency that you are looking for.

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 10:05pm
post #4 of 10

you need to knead in some shortening, it will soften right up..just cover your hands in shortening (not too much) and knead it until it's softer and not cracking. Don't use too much shortening, just add a little at a time until it's workable. If you use too much, add some more powdered sugar. I used this to make ALOT of little cool things for cakes, and it doesn't crack at all as long as it's the right consistency.
HTH

eyeofhorus Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 10:11pm
post #5 of 10

Thank you very much for the info. ladies. icon_smile.gif
does it hold up in the flower and border catagories??

chaptlps Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 4:01pm
post #6 of 10

k horus, you lost me with that one. I make flowers with fondant all the time and for borders I roll little balls or make a rope out of it. It's like play-doh or polymer clay.

eyeofhorus Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 12:22am
post #7 of 10

chaptlps... i was meaning the mmf, does it hold up as well as regular fondant..lol, sorry for the confusion.

SimpleAffair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SimpleAffair Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 12:28am
post #8 of 10

I also have a question regarding MMF...I just made a batch a few days ago and tried to work with it last night but for some reason it seems a little tacky and I tried to make a baby for a shower cake and it would not keep it's shape. What have I done wrong? This is the first time I have tired MMF and I'm sure I am totally overlooking something here!

stlalohagal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlalohagal Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:16am
post #9 of 10

I think I'm in the same boat here. I hope you don't mind if I chime in... my MMF seems off as well. The first time I made it, it was wonderful. (Heart cake in my gallery.) The second time not so great. Good taste but I had a lot of pot holes. (Candle cake in my gallery.) It seemed to bubble and sink off the cake. I just made a batch on Sunday night and tried covering a cake with it last night. Making sure to let it sit for a good 24+ hours. You could watch it just slide and stretch down the sides. It was going to be a tea pot now it's tea mush as my bottom half sport ball just smashed under the weight and collapsed. I felt like Duff and his Highland Cow with all the Fondant that fell off of it! Ha ha ha!! This batch too was all full of pot holes and I worked in the Crisco and kneaded it before rolling it out. I even rolled it out and thought it was to thin and re rolled it. Anyone have any suggestions???

Thanks all!

- Paula

chaptlps Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 1:18am
post #10 of 10

sorry horus hun, I can be easily confused, must be old'timers duh'sease LOL!!! (quick question, are you by chance an SG-1 fan?)

Simple hun, I think you are having the opposite problem that horus is having. Your fondant is too wet, try kneading it with some corn starch or powdered sugar (just a we bit) til you get the consistency you want. You might also try to add some gum-tex or if you can't find that use denture adhesive (thanks to squirrelly cakes where ever she is). It has the same active ingredient as gum-tex but also bonus (ding- ding) it has a delightful minty fresh taste too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%