How To Fill A Cupcake?

Decorating By gibson Updated 5 May 2006 , 8:57pm by NEWTODECORATING

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 5 May 2006 , 8:03pm
post #1 of 14

HI Everyone!

I have an order for some cupcakes.......probably around 50. Anyways, I've been reading about the cupcakes and some people fill them? I've never heard of this.....what about the wrapper....do you serve it without one? Do you put a new one on? Kind of a silly question but this is my first real order and I've never done cupcakes before, so I really want them to be delish! What kind of filling would you put in them? and does anybody have the recipe for the ding dong cake and filling?
I'm thinking of decorating the cupcakes with a lot of flowers and using buttercream icing. Would you just pipe the flowers directly onto the cupcake?
I need all the help I can get!

Thanks!! icon_biggrin.gif

13 replies
NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 5 May 2006 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 14

Hi I have filled cupcakes before with the Giant Ding Dong filling listed in the recipe section here. It is my favorite but does have to be refrigerated. My next favorite is one someone from here shared with me. It is the almost Twinkie filling. It doesn't need refridgeration and I will post it for you if you would like. I use my cookie press to fill the cupcakes. It came with a long pointed nozzle that attaches to it. You can also use a icing tip that is long and pointed (I forget the number) I leave the cupcakes in the wrapper and insert the tip in the top. 1 1/2 clicks on the cookie press is usually enough. Don't over do it. Your cupcake will explode.

gibson Posted 5 May 2006 , 8:18pm
post #3 of 14

I would LOVE the recipe NEWTODECORATING! What kind of cookie press do you have? I have one, never used it.....it's the Wilton Cookie Pro. If you could explain how I would use this? Maybe the icing tip would be easier?
I have to say I'm going to be a little nervous filling those cupcakes...hoping they don't explode!! LOL!!

Thanks so much!

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 5 May 2006 , 8:25pm
post #4 of 14

I use a regular featherweight bag and tip #12 - then I insert the tip into the cupcake and squeeze slightly until I feel it plump up, then I stop. Then I just ice the cupcake with a tip 1M.

HTH

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 5 May 2006 , 8:27pm
post #5 of 14

gibson, the tip is the 230.

NEWTODECORATING, I would be interested in that filling too.

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 5 May 2006 , 8:31pm
post #6 of 14

You can fill them with just about anything! I have used pudding--make the pie recipe and cool whip. I use a bag and a 10 or 12 round tip. Just remember that you only need a touch of filling. That is the key to them not exploding!!!!! LOL Have fun!

beez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beez Posted 5 May 2006 , 8:31pm
post #7 of 14

Anyone fill the cupcakes with pudding? Does that work well or not?

NEWTODECORATING Posted 5 May 2006 , 8:34pm
post #8 of 14

Stogz shared this with me. It is good and doesn't make the cupcakes soggy.

Twinkie like filling

2 teaspoons very hot water
rounded 1/4 teaspoon salt
2 cups marshmallow creme 1- 7 oz jar
1/2 cup shortening
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Combine the salt with the hot water in a small bowl and stir until salt is dissolved. Let this mixture cool. Combine the marshmallow creme, shortening, powdered sugar, and vanilla in a mediun bowl and mix well with an electric mixer on high speed until fluffy. Add the salt solution to the filling mixture and combine.

Makes 1 1/2 cups.

I think filling cupcakes is so much fun! I know I am warped!!

NEWTODECORATING Posted 5 May 2006 , 8:37pm
post #9 of 14

gibson- I don't have the Wilton one. It is a generic brand I picked up for a dollar at a yard sale last summer. It has more than paid for itself. Check and see of yours has a long (2 inch) attachment. It makes filling them so quick and easy.

onebigdogmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onebigdogmama Posted 5 May 2006 , 8:45pm
post #10 of 14

Thanks New! Can you just cover and let sit out or do you have to put in fridge? OH and can you add flavoring or chocolate?

NEWTODECORATING Posted 5 May 2006 , 8:49pm
post #11 of 14

The Twinkie like one can be left out. I have never added any flavoring to it but....now you have me wondering.

The Giant ding dong one I think is better but does need refridgerated. You can find that recipe here under Giant Ding Dong cake in the recipe section. If you like filled cupcakes you will LOVE that cake. I highly recommend it!

gibson Posted 5 May 2006 , 8:52pm
post #12 of 14

NEWTODECORATING: No, mine doesn't have an attachment like what you describe. The only reason why I bought this was because it was at a yardsale and had never been used. Still in original box and I got it for $5.00! I do plan on using it just been busy....
Thanks so much for the recipe! Can't wait to try it and can't wait to fill the cupcakes.

Any ideas on how I can decorate them? It's for a hairdresser, she's having a customer appreciation day on her 1 year anniversary of being open! I was thinking spring and flowers but I'm nervous about doing flowers because I still need a lot of practice. I really want these to "WOW" people because I'm trying to get my name out there. Any and all ideas would be great!

Thanks!

gibson Posted 5 May 2006 , 8:52pm
post #13 of 14

NEWTODECORATING: No, mine doesn't have an attachment like what you describe. The only reason why I bought this was because it was at a yardsale and had never been used. Still in original box and I got it for $5.00! I do plan on using it just been busy....
Thanks so much for the recipe! Can't wait to try it and can't wait to fill the cupcakes.

Any ideas on how I can decorate them? It's for a hairdresser, she's having a customer appreciation day on her 1 year anniversary of being open! I was thinking spring and flowers but I'm nervous about doing flowers because I still need a lot of practice. I really want these to "WOW" people because I'm trying to get my name out there. Any and all ideas would be great!

Thanks!

NEWTODECORATING Posted 5 May 2006 , 8:57pm
post #14 of 14

I love putting some decoration on the top of them or sticking out of them. Does Wilton have a candy melt mold with hairdryers, lipstick, and scissors? I thought I saw one at ACmoore. That would be super cute. I also like to do choc. transfers and stick them in the icing. You can check out my pics to see what I am talking about. Do you have a cupcake tree? I like to use the shredded packaging paper inbetween the layers to dress it up abit.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%