Mmf Question

Decorating By sshoshie Updated 24 Apr 2007 , 4:21pm by pugsmom

sshoshie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sshoshie Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 10

I just used MMF last night for the first time. I liked it but I thought it was tough to mix in color. Any suggestioins? Did I mix something wrong? Also do you have to mix it with anything to give it a little stretchyness like the wilton brand?

9 replies
amecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amecakes Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 10

Hey, me too! I didn't mix in any color as I didn't want to push fate icon_biggrin.gif...just wanted to try and get the cake covered. I'm definitely interested in the answer to this.

I also found that there was absolutely no give...but I think it might be because there's no glycerin??

krystalp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystalp Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:56pm
post #3 of 10

You could try sticking it in the microwave for a few seconds. Or mix in just a little bit of shortening. That always works for me. icon_smile.gif

pugsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugsmom Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:57pm
post #4 of 10

I have done the MMF a few times and i took a little piece and mixed my color in that then mixed it all together. I also mixed some light corn syrup into it and that seemed to help a lot with giving it more elasticity.

heidisuesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidisuesmom Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 10

If you're only needing it for one color, add the color in with your flavorings and stuff before you melt your marshmallows. If your needing it for several colors, I think it just takes some good old elbow grease and muscles!!!!!

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 4:10pm
post #6 of 10

What MMF recipe are you using? Rhondas Ultimate has fantastic texture and taste, and the give is really good too, if you feel you need a little more which sometimes I do I just add about a tsp or 2 of glycerine, it gives it stretchieness and doesn't compromise texture at all. As far as color mix in's if it is a dark color I have noticed it really compromises the give and pliability, I haven't found a solution to that yet.

jeking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeking Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 4:13pm
post #7 of 10

Truthfully, the MMF will never have the same consistency as commercial fondant no matter what you mix in. I do use MMF sometimes, especially if it's a "freebie" cake to cut down on my costs. However, I've added corn syrup, Crisco, lemon juice (??), glucose, glycerine...all to no avail. The consistency just isn't the same. I do use fondant recipes that work well and have the same consistency as commercial fondants. There are several good ones on this site.

sshoshie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sshoshie Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 4:16pm
post #8 of 10

Which recipies would you recommend?

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 4:21pm
post #9 of 10

Rhonda's Ultimate is my go to recipe for MMF, otherwise I would use the fondant recipe from the Cake Bible

pugsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugsmom Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 4:21pm
post #10 of 10

I recommend Rhondas ultimate MMF..works great every time for me

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%