Where Do You Get Your Ispiration...

Decorating By luvmygirl Updated 29 Apr 2007 , 7:52pm by heavensgaits

luvmygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvmygirl Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 16

How do you decide how you will decorate a praticular cake?

I am talking about cakes with no theme in mind- say a cake for Mother's Day or a celebration cake?

Do you use books, your imagination, pictures from this site?

Thanks

15 replies
Wiltonlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wiltonlady Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 16

All of the above but, especially CC.

fooby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fooby Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:36pm
post #3 of 16

Hmm sometimes I see inspiration in everyday things, i.e. a gift wrapper, a floral arrangement, a tissue box, a piece of jewelry, clothing, fabric, book covers and sometimes designer cakes. Most of the time, I like concocting my own design from a certain object and just work from there.

mommicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommicakes Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 16

Sometimes I just browse here on CC. The most inspiration comes from gawking at everyone elses creations. I might gather something from this one and a little from that one. It usually turns out something very interesting. icon_eek.gif And sometimes I don't know what I will decorate a cake until I start icing it. I do my best works not having something sketched out. icon_redface.gif I just sit and think. Also, my 5 kids give me lots of inspiration. They are a wide range of ages, so what is cool to the youngest may be totally different from the oldest. (7-25). My advice would be browse here first, then check elseware but you will come back here. I can guarantee it!!! Everyone here is so talented. icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 16

I've already photographed patio furniture which I thought would make a great RI side panel pattern.

I've bought placemats, window clings, fabric swatches - my "Lab", as my family calls it, is a yardsale waiting to happen with inspirations.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 16

I agree CC is an amazing place to get inspiration. So are coloring books, scrapbook stickers, etc. I usually have a sketch with my "vision" on it ready when I start the cake. I wish I could just start icing and end up with something nice but I am just not that talented icon_sad.gif

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 16

Everywhere! I was at the bank about a month ago, and their chairs are Emerald green, with the faintest yellow swirl-y design on them. My immediate thought was, 'That would look really cool as a cake'.

ladysonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladysonja Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 8:47pm
post #8 of 16

I get inspired every where... Like last week, I was inspired to make my dentist a cake... I had to have a tooth pulled the following day, so I was inspired to make him a Tooth Fairy Cake...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_418213.html

I am also inspired by people, places, books, pictures, & events. If I am inspired, I write down or try to draw what I'm thinking about so I don't forget about it later!

I'm currently working on an idea for my hair dresser and my nail tech. A girl cannot live without a awesome hair dresser or nail tech thumbs_up.gif.

I also browse the CC galleries for inspiration... It's not that your stealing an orignal idea... you may like one part of one cake, but also like another part of a second cake... put them together and welllah you have an idea and have been inspired - icon_lol.gif

Luxe42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luxe42 Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 4:12am
post #9 of 16

I have a sketch book and whenever I see a nice color combination or pattern on something (TV, somebody's shirt, greeting card). I write it down for later, perhaps it will fit into a cake theme. Lots of times I just visualize and make it happen!

jackfrost Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackfrost Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 4:30am
post #10 of 16

I agree with all of the above. I like to draw and I will will do something to represent a hobby, or something related to the type of work they do. If I can ever take the time to sit down and figure out how to post some of my pictures.

Hula_girl3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hula_girl3 Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 6:22am
post #11 of 16

I'd say inspiration comes from everywhere. When I go the barnes and noble I browse thru the art section but some times I just look at covers for colors and patterns. I also look in cake books, websites and whatever else I see on a daily basis.

If someone has no clue what they want then I just have them give me little facts about the person who will recieve the cake and then I just let my mind wander and some how I seem to find what they want.

As for mother's day type of stuff I just kinda make things my mom or grandma would like. Pretty simple so I always think of flowers, hats and lace....simple and pretty.

Mom2Craig Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mom2Craig Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 7:49pm
post #12 of 16

I use the internet, this site and my wilton books to help get mine. I think the cakes here are awesome!!! I love just looking sometimes to see what people have created.

Melissa

TxAgGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TxAgGirl Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 8:07pm
post #13 of 16

I'm still new to this, but the next time I get the freedom to just do whatever I want, I'm going to use some pretty party napkins as inspiration. They have some great color combinations and patterns!

MissLady85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLady85 Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 8:47am
post #14 of 16

I get my inspiration from music.... i start listening to my IPOD and its pretty much on from there...but most days its about what people want, not what i wanna create!

Jasley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasley Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 9:26am
post #15 of 16

Magazines - I'm a compulsive page ripper upper. Any pretty pattern, bedspreads, cushions, flowers, colour combinations that I like get ripped out and stuck in my visual diary. Only problem is I have too much in there to ever make in a lifetime!

heavensgaits Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavensgaits Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 7:52pm
post #16 of 16

I really like looking at architecture for different kinds of patterns. Now I keep my digital camera with me at all times in case I come across something cool.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%