How Do I Get Burnt Ingredients Off Bottom Of Pan?

Decorating By gregus28 Updated 5 May 2007 , 1:57am by gregus28

gregus28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gregus28 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 1:57pm
post #1 of 11

i boiled a mix for custard for creme puffs and over cooked it on top of the stove. The bottom is all black and burnt. Any suggestions how to get it off? I soaked it for 2 days and its just not loosening.

10 replies
grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 11

You could try a mixture of baking soda and water.... make a paste of it..... let it sit there for awhile, then scrub the heck out of it.....

selahmycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
selahmycat Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 2:10pm
post #3 of 11

This is going to sound silly, but it works (don't ask how I know!).
Place a dryer sheet (Bounce or whatever brand you use) in the bottom of the pan and fill it with warm water. Let it soak for a few hours or overnight, and it will wash right out!!

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 2:15pm
post #4 of 11

Boil soapy water in the pot.

denette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denette Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 2:18pm
post #5 of 11

You've got more than enough suggestions here, but I put automatic dishwasher soap (dry stuff) in the pan. Let it soak over night. The enzymes in the soap eat up the food stuff. It is pretty easy to wash out the next morning.

Also, if you need a "scrubber pad", put the dishwasher soap in your pan and scrub with a dish cloth. It really helps.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 11

Tha last time I accidently burned my pastry cream it tasted burnt!

UGoCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UGoCakes Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 2:22pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by denette

You've got more than enough suggestions here, but I put automatic dishwasher soap (dry stuff) in the pan. Let it soak over night. The enzymes in the soap eat up the food stuff. It is pretty easy to wash out the next morning.

Also, if you need a "scrubber pad", put the dishwasher soap in your pan and scrub with a dish cloth. It really helps.

Ditto Denette

sidebar - do poeple use "ditto" anymore? hmmmm - just thinking out loud, excuse me! maybe it's just me icon_rolleyes.gif

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 2:26pm
post #8 of 11

If the pan is stainless, Barkeeper's Friend, a dobie pad and a lot of elbow grease. I use a lot of the powder and just enough water to make a thick paste and scrub away. If you have a counter stool, drag it over because you are going to be there a while.

I also went to my favorite house help site and found this suggestion.

Quote:
Quote:

Cascade automatic dish detergent is terrific for removing baked on stains from bake-ware, and pots and pans, teakettles, etc. Make a paste of Cascade and a bit of water. Paint on a thin coat with a pastry brush, let it sit for awhile and rinse off. Make sure that it's rinsed thoroughly. For really hard baked-on food, wrap the pan in saran wrap tightly and let sit overnight. Rinse thoroughly and dry. Voila! I have not tried this on aluminum utensils, but it works on stainless, glass, porcelain and ceramic."

I don't know if it works but it might.

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 2:56pm
post #9 of 11

Well, I certainly read THIS wrong.... icon_redface.gif I thought you meant on the OUTSIDE BOTTOM of the pan, not the inside bottom.... LOL!

gregus28 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 7:50pm
post #10 of 11

I will keep trying your suggestions; one of them have to work. All i have on hand in dishwasher stuff is the liquid cascade. i think i'll try that first than i'll turn to the dryer sheet. Let you know which works best. Again, thank's for the advice.

gregus28 Posted 5 May 2007 , 1:57am
post #11 of 11

icon_lol.gif i used liquid cascade and scrubbed with a steel scouring pad. thanks to everyone for their suggestions... thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%