5Th Grade Graduation Cake?

Decorating By kathik Updated 15 Jun 2007 , 3:15am by alliebear

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 1:45am
post #1 of 16

I have been asked to make a graduation cake for our local Jewish Day school. It ends at 5th grade, so I am having trouble coming up with anything. They don't wear graduation gowns, so that theme doesn't really work. I'd kind of like to include a Jewish star or symbol in it somehow because the kids have spent 5 years in Jewish school and now will be going on to local public middle schools. All ideas or help welcome!!

Thanks,
Kathi

15 replies
LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:20pm
post #2 of 16

Ask the customer what projects the kids have worked on this past year. Maybe you can get some inspiration from that. Also, who is the popular cartoon character among fifth graders? Have that character wishing the kids good luck.

kathik Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 4:29am
post #3 of 16

Well, there really isn't one character they all like, especially since the group varies from those who watch tv and movies to those who don't. The main project for the year was a research project, but each student's project was a different topic.

Would it be silly to have a chalkboard with a checklist, maybe something like this:

Graduation Reminders

1. Bring your speech.
2. Smile.
3. Relax and enjoy your summer.
4. Keep the lessons you learned, the memories you made, and the friends you gained at "name of school" close to your heart.

Congratulations class of 2007!

Thanks for the input,
Kathi

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 16

Kathy,
I think it's too many words ... they probably won't want to read it! (and you probably will have a hard time writing it to fit.)

The blackboard idea is a good one; but not too many words ... maybe "good luck in 6th grade!" Hey, what's their school mascot? I was just remembering a cake I did (for a Sweedish lady) with a moose pointing to a blackboard with a pointer. Let me attach it. (In my case, the moose is the national animal for Sweeden.)
LL

JRAE33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JRAE33 Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 16

Kathi- I like your idea of doing a chalkboard! Jodie

kathik Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 9:19pm
post #6 of 16

Unfortunately, they don't have a mascot or a team name or anything like that. It is a fairly new school, about 4/5 years old and they really haven't developed that kind of stuff yet. They graduating class consists of 1 girl and 1 boy. The school has a logo, but I can't figure out how to incorporate it. I really want to do a nice job, since a lot of people will see it (the graduation night is also the end of the year program) and it could lead to a lot of future business.

My kids like the chalkboard idea, too. So I just need to figure out what to say on it.

Thanks,
Kathi

hoped Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hoped Posted 26 Apr 2007 , 11:05pm
post #7 of 16

I would suggest "Mazel Tov class of 2007". Mazel Tov means good luck/congratulations in Hebrew. You could even write Mazel Tov in hebrew letters (I attached a picture below of the words in hebrew and english) just remember that hebrew letters read from right to left when placing the words.

Good luck!
LL

kathik Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 2:41am
post #8 of 16

Thanks hoped. I am considering that, too. I'd really like to do something that gets across the message of going from strength to strength, I don't remember how that goes in Hebrew, or hatzlacha (good luck). I don't know, I'm really not sold on the chalkboard idea. I'm still trying to come up with something different, something that emphasizes the Jewish part of their education. I'm just kind of stuck right now.

Kathi

CONFECTIONCONNECTION Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CONFECTIONCONNECTION Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 3:00am
post #9 of 16

A hot air balloon comes to mind....it's more of a "send off" from
grade school onward to public school but have the hot air balloon secured to the ground to show that they keep grounded in what they have learned thus far in their Jewish schooling??? Does that sound too deep??

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 27 Apr 2007 , 3:15am
post #10 of 16

two children crossing a bridge (journey to new things) over a stream (the waters of life)

the rails on the bridge has the star as part of the design (faith will keep support you on your journey)

at left end...large model of their current school, at other end of bridge a small model of a generic public school (unless there is a specific one they will attend)

variations:

two cakes and bridge spans gap between them

image is a drawn on top of sheet cake.

(would a Torah or menorah be appropriate somewhere?)

kathik Posted 29 Apr 2007 , 1:04am
post #11 of 16

CONFECTIONCONNECTION and Doug,

I really like these two ideas! I think the bridge idea and all the symbolism is really cool Doug, but I think the balloon idea will appeal to the kids more, so I am working on this idea for now. I think I am going to try to make figures out of fondant of the Rabbi and 5th grade teacher and 2 graduates. I also like the idea of including the Jewish star, Torah, etc. so I am thinking of making the rope stakes in the shape of Jewish stars. Maybe I can have the graduates in the balloon and the Rabbi and teacher giving them a Torah, menorah, etc. to take with them?

What do you think?

Kathi

CONFECTIONCONNECTION Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CONFECTIONCONNECTION Posted 28 May 2007 , 3:28am
post #12 of 16

Did you make your cake yet???? Plz post photos when you do!!!!

kathik Posted 30 May 2007 , 12:48pm
post #13 of 16

Not yet! Graduation is in 2 weeks. I've been working on the fondant figures and "accessories" for the cake, though. I promise to post when I'm done.

Thanks for asking,
Kathi

kathik Posted 3 Jun 2007 , 6:54pm
post #14 of 16

Okay, I'm working on my figures and planning out the positioning on the cake and I am drwing a total blank on how to fill in the outer edges of the top, a border or side embellishments (if any) for this cake. Can anyone give me some ideas?

This is what I am doing so far:

2 layer 12" x 18" cake, half chocolate, half vanilla, frosted in grass green. In the center of the cake I will have 3 wooden steps and a hot air balloon. The Rabbi (principal) will be on the top step handing Judaica items to the 2 graduates. The 5th grade teacher is on the step below with items in her hand as well. On the balloon is a banner saying Mazel Tov and on the basket is the logo of the school. Here is a sketch viewing from the side:

Thanks,
Kathi
LL

kathik Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 3:33pm
post #15 of 16

Well, It's finished! Below is the final cake, after 2 disasters. When I attached the balloon part it was fine, but I didn't realize just how carefully I should frost it and I loosed the dowels in the base cake (shaped like a basket) while frosting it. I thought I could heat up some ganache and when it hardened it would hold the dowels steady but as I was bringing the ganache to the table my balloon hit the floor! icon_cry.gif I baked a second cake and tried again. I thought I could still use the base cake because the ganache seemed to have hardened things and the basket ended up in the air, since the balloon part hit the floor. Anyway, apparently it wasn't as sturdy as I hoped and about 30 seconds after I put this in the car it broke and fell over, smearing blue frosting on my car seat! icon_mad.gif This time the side of the basket broke off, the basket weave broke off another side, the fondant school logo broke and one of my figures lost an arm.

Thankfully, my husband suggested stopping at the store to buy a balloon, so they still got the hot air balloon idea, but I was very depressed. icon_redface.gif At least they were all focused on the figures! I propped the menorah in front of the boy who lost his arm and you couldn't tell. Personally, I NEED to figure out a way to make a balloon cake that stands! I refuse to be beaten by a cake!!!

Kathi
LL
LL

alliebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alliebear Posted 15 Jun 2007 , 3:15am
post #16 of 16

wowo i love it greeat modelling

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%