Really Rotten Cake Day (Very Long Post/vent/rant)

Decorating By lonestarstamper Updated 24 Apr 2007 , 4:41am by marthajo1

lonestarstamper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lonestarstamper Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 13

Okay so maybe it's not a disaster but I'm so upset I've been crying for the last 30 minutes. Yesterday I posted because I needed a solution for getting the right consistency after having to add a large amount of gel color to fondant. My fondant was rather soft and I had a hard time getting it applied on the cake. It would tear if I tried to work it and then had some small cracks in it. Found out I should have added more powdered sugar to get it back to the right consistency. So anyway, I managed to use the soft fondant and get it to look okay. It wasn't perfect and I'm a perfectionist so I wasn't thrilled with it but thought it was just good enough to get by. The cake is for a company my husband just started working with. They are having a party this afternoon so it'll be the first time I meet the people he works with too. When he got home last night, he said the cake looked "awesome" so I was thrilled that he loved it. I'm PMSing pretty bad too and also had a crummy day at work today. I just got home to get ready for the party and walked into the kitchen to box up the cake and found a huge "blow out" on the side (in the front!). It looked like there was air in that spot and it tried to push it's way out. All I could do was use a fondant smoother to gently push it back into place. It looks better but there are now large cracks where the blow out was. So then I tried to use a little bit of shortening to smooth it out and it wasn't much help. I just stood there staring at it and started crying. My husband walked into the room and asked why I let it get to me like that. I know to most people it's just cake and I know you guys understand where I'm coming from. I'm so thankful to have this place to come to. Besides the fact that I worked on this cake all day yesterday, I really wanted it to be something my husband would be proud of. He says it's fine but I know it looks horrible. He's always bragging about my cakes and now he has to show up to work with this. I'm not even sure I'll go to the party. I'm embarrassed to show up with it but then again I don't want him to go alone AND have to show up with it. I've got to find a solution to this problem because it is not the first time it's happened. There has to be a reason why this happens. I don't know what I'm doing that's causing this. I'll have to post it as a question. Anyway, if you've read all of this, thank you. I just needed to let it out. Thanks.

Yvette

12 replies
SusieQ1083 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusieQ1083 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 7:45pm
post #2 of 13

Don't feel bad! We've all been in a situation like this! I worked all day yesterday on a cake with a tiara for a coworker, only to have the tiara crumble right as I walked into work this morning!

Anyways, let all your anger out! That way you can get back into the swing of things and make an even better cake tomorrow!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 13

Try cornstarch as opposed to Confectioners sugar. It will dry it out! Sorry you are having a rough time. As I said in your other post just color a couple of days in advance. It will help dry it as the days go!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 7:47pm
post #4 of 13

Sorry this cake has been so difficult for you! For the cracks, you can use royal icing. Match the color as best you can, then, using a piping bag with small hole, fill the cracks and then smooth out.

We say it again and again here on CC that we are our own worst critics and tend to focus on imperfections that only we see! I'm glad your husband encourages you so much. ::hugs::

-Rezzy

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 7:47pm
post #5 of 13

Aw, I'm sorry you had a crummy day. But I'm sure your cakes looked great!! Smile and enjoy the party!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 7:49pm
post #6 of 13

I had the exact same thing happen to me with my first fondant cake. I made a three layer pink present cake for my daughter's BD (it's in my pics)

Don't laugh but I even took a safty pin to punch a whole thinking I could get the air out. I was sick over it. I haven't done a Fondant cake since.

Maybe someone here has advice if it happens again.

I know on my day it was very humid.

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 13

I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you. I've had the blowout thing too....sooooo frustrating. I've had a perfect cake, I was all excited, went to bed, woke up to a big bubble! So disappointing. And I let it get to me too. When you work so hard on something, it just does. I would love to know the why on this one too. Chin up, I'm sure it's not as bad as you think, it NEVER is!!!

Janette Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:08am
post #8 of 13

Try this site - I see where I didn't smooth enough to get the air out.

http://atecousa.net//learn/satin-ice-tutorial-i-icing-your-cake.html

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:19am
post #9 of 13

oh my gosh Janette!!! Thanks for the fabulous link!!! I love the crimper tool he uses!

Janette Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:40am
post #10 of 13

Isn't it funny, it made me want to go down and do a Fondant cake.

I put it in my favorites to review the next time I do one.

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:57am
post #11 of 13

I did my first fondant cake today and I can't believe I used alot of his techniques for icing the cake with it, I'm so proud of myself!!!!

Thanks for that link Janette, I like it!

lonestarstamper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lonestarstamper Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 2:20am
post #12 of 13

Thanks for the link. I saw it a long time ago but it was nice to watch the videos again. As for getting the air bubbles out, I do use a pin but that only works if you do it while the fondant is still soft. My bubble came after the fondant was already dry on the outside so that's why it cracked when I tried to push it back in. I did use shortening like he showed in the video but I think it was already too dry for that too. I should have used the royal icing "caulking" method but since I had already tried shortening I was pretty sure that it would break down any royal I applied.

Now to end my sad little saga with this cake. After I posted my troubles, I pulled myself together in time for us to leave for the party. I had to follow my husband there in my vehicle because he had to go to his second job (our own business) right after the party. When we got to the party and he unloaded the cake, he told me that he'd called ahead and told them that we were running a little late because he'd accidently messed up the cake and I had to try to fix it. Wasn't that sweet of him? So, the party was really nice, they'd catered it and had one room set up with desserts and my cake. And someone came to get me to cut the first piece of cake because no one wanted to do it first but everyone wanted some. So I went and cut the first piece. All evening long people came over and gushed over it and asked for my card. By the time we left the party the entire cake was almost gone. So I guess it all turned out okay and now I feel like I overreacted but I know if you'd have seen this cake you'd have cried too.

So I want to thank everyone for your kind words. I got to read a few of them before we left for the party and they were of great comfort to me.

You guys are the best!
Yvette

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 4:41am
post #13 of 13

Glad it all worked out!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%