Helpppp!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And Quick Lol

Decorating By cake_freak Updated 23 Apr 2007 , 8:30pm by hnogden

cake_freak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_freak Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 6:40pm
post #1 of 8

OK. I have a 3 tiered cake to do for the 4th of may SOOO I need to know how much supplies I need so I was going to ask how much would fondant would you need to cover 7 9 11 all 3 inches high how much do I need for the butter cream etcetera. And as well which is the better to use fondant or gum paste for like little things to put on a cake this is a at the end of the year party so there is many kinds of social groups coming (Goth, country boys, church going people so each layer will be going to a diff social group!!) but I need some help my first BIG cake like this so if some one will help a newbie to all the bigger stuff it will be apprieciated!!!!

7 replies
Lauree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauree Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 8

Bump

Sorry, i don't work with fondant. But this will get you back on the front page!

Nyma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nyma Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 7:27pm
post #3 of 8

Hi there!

I would say that a 10 pound bucket should be enought (I Usually like Satin Ice) for the cake and the extras..... but it's important to specify that I'm not one experienced decorator... been doing it for a year or so, and most of the time I get a little bit more than I need in case of emergency icon_lol.gif . About the bc I would run 3 batches or so.

Good Luck with your cake!

Janette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Janette Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 8

www.wilton.com has charts to help

heyjules Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heyjules Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 7:28pm
post #5 of 8

If you look in a wilton yearbook, in the prep section (it's on pg 105 in the 2004 earbook...it's sitting right here in front of me). it tells you how much fondant you need to cover a cake. example: you need 24 oz to cover an 8in round, 4 in high cake. good luck!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 7:32pm
post #6 of 8

Use this chart for fondant....

http://www.cakesbysam.com/store/cart.php?target=product&product_id=21932&category_id=257

Now I really don't understand....goth, country boys and church? icon_confused.gif Hmmmm try going generic......... icon_lol.gif

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 7:41pm
post #7 of 8

I did a 14/10/6 4" high this past weekend. I made 3 batches of fondant (don't know how much each of them weighs) and 3 batches of BC. I had leftovers of both. If I had done more fondant details I would have used it all, or even needed a little more than that. The 10 lbs sounds about right, if you're going to buy pre-made fondant.

Also, if you have to make flowers or intricate detail work, use gumpaste, or a gumpaste/fondant 50/50 mix. It will hold up better and dry more quickly. Also, make these decorations WAY early, so they have plenty of time to dry. Also, if you're trying a new technique, do a practice run of it first (don't ask me how I know this!!!) or you could run into problems trying it out when you actually need it!

Make sure you have your cake boards for each "tier", and make sure and cut them if they end up being too big and would "stick out". Have plenty of dowels on hand, and a large one for a center dowel. If you're not sure how to do this (if you know all this just ignore me) then there is a tutorial on this site that shows how to stack cakes, and explains doweling. Make sure you know how you're going to carry it (they are stinkin heavy!!!) - I had to have DH help because it was too heavy for me! Also have a plan for transportation - a vehicle with an area that it can sit flat and not wiggle around.

Good luck HTH!!

hnogden Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hnogden Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 8:30pm
post #8 of 8

I found a chart on cakes by sam.com that might help. It is a free dowload. I am not smart enough to know how to save it to my comp so here is the link. It is the last item on the page.

http://www.cakesbysam.com/store/cart.php?target=category&category_id=257

HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%