Summer Cake Camp For Kids

Decorating By Mac Updated 7 May 2006 , 5:26am by bush1

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 3 May 2006 , 12:55pm
post #1 of 3

Our cooking school here has some summer classes for kids and this year, they are adding cake decorating. I will 4 sessions with 2 different age groups. Looking for suggestions on what you think they would like to learn.

1st class: Age 4-9--Cakes I was thinking Starburst Roses and modeling Candy Clay, learning borders and leaves (I have tried BC roses with this age--I end up making them), giving them (Mom) recipes for BC and candy clay. Any ideas for this age group???

2nd class: Age 4-9--Cupcakes and Cookies. Make a turtle cupcake, decorating cookies with food color pens (they will already have set RI), using Starburst roses on cupcakes. Any other ideas???

3rd class: Age 10+--Cakes. They will learn how to make and apply a FBCT (They will make one and then I will have some already frozen to transfer), smoothing a cake and adding borders. Then they will also make a hamburger cake that will require baking a chocolate chip cookie. This class may already have enough, but any other suggestions would be helpful.

4th class: Age 10+--Cupcakes and Cookies. Make a turtle cupcake, making Starburst roses and Candy clay figures for cupcakes, making cookies with rolled buttercream or fondant. Any other ideas???

Sorry this is so long. Each class is 2 hours and the charge is $30 for age 4-9 and $35.00 for 10+. You can even ask your children what they would like to learn. Thanks for the help--Pam

2 replies
Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 3 May 2006 , 6:00pm
post #2 of 3

Anybody????

I need to submit plans so it can get posted on the store's website.

bush1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bush1 Posted 7 May 2006 , 5:26am
post #3 of 3

I think for the younger age group they would be most interested in making the figures. Why not focus the class on making teddy bears with clothing, animals and maybe even fairies for the girls in the class, which I am assuming will be the majority of your students. I would use gumpaste as opposed to starburst and candy clay since the gumpaste figures will be something that they could keep. I know that my daughter would probably enjoy making these things since she would be able to keep them and show them off. There are some really good and cheap recipes for gumpaste if you have tylose available to you and you could just premake a big batch to use in the class. I'm stumped on the older group. My niece,who is would be in the older group really enjoyed helping me make the martini cake in my photos. Maybe you could let them make a mini cake and let them decorate with fondant, real ribbon and small flower cutouts.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%