I Bought A Couple Of Hd Foam Rollers...look Out Bc!!!

Decorating By imaginecakes Updated 24 Apr 2007 , 1:27pm by imaginecakes

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:17pm
post #1 of 31

We went to Home Depot this Weekend and I bought a couple of High-Density Foam Rollers (a 2-inch and a 6-inch...they didn't have a 4-inch)...Man oh Man!!! Look out BC...here I come!!! icon_lol.gif

30 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 31

You'll luv it! I told my hubby that I wanted a holster to keep them in so I could whip 'em out when I was ready to smooth that cake! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

momof5kiki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof5kiki Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 31

I can not wait to try this. I have to wait though, I am working on the fondant right now, but I have a feelling that I will be like wow why didn't I try that first lol.

fourangelsmommie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fourangelsmommie Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:26pm
post #4 of 31

I love it! I won't use anything else other than the rollers now, not even the viva papertowel method.

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 31

Hate to be a party pooper but are they food safe??

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:31pm
post #6 of 31

If they are brand new and NEVER been used for anything else the rollers are fine.

I just bought some yesterday too and I have 2 cakes I am gonna do this weekend! WAaahoo! I am excited too! I think it is going to be amazingly easy! icon_lol.gif

christielee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christielee Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:29pm
post #7 of 31

Is the roller actually supposed to say HIGH DENSITY on the package? Because I bought one to try on the cake I did this weekend and some of my icing kept sticking to the roller, and other parts I think the icing crusted too much, because it was all dull and matty. What am I doing wrong? I hope you have more luck than I did!

Christie icon_eek.gif

SusieQ1083 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusieQ1083 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:34pm
post #8 of 31

What kind of BC would you use with these rollers? A regular BC or a crusty BC? Does it matter?

imaginecakes Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:38pm
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by christielee

Is the roller actually supposed to say HIGH DENSITY on the package? Because I bought one to try on the cake I did this weekend and some of my icing kept sticking to the roller, and other parts I think the icing crusted too much, because it was all dull and matty. What am I doing wrong? I hope you have more luck than I did!

Christie icon_eek.gif

I'm not quite sure...(because I haven't had the chance to try them yet icon_smile.gif )...But mine do say High-Density right on the package...so I'm not sure if there is a difference between some or not!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:39pm
post #10 of 31

Finally got around to buying one myself, have yet to try it...I couldn't find one with a short handle so I hope this one will not be awkward, the handle is like 8"-10" long....

imaginecakes Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:40pm
post #11 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieQ1083

What kind of BC would you use with these rollers? A regular BC or a crusty BC? Does it matter?

It definitely has to be a Crusting BC recipe...and from what I have gathered so far on the method...let it sit at room temp for about 15 minutes to crust before using the rollers...I hope this helps!! I will keep everyone posted on how it works for me!!

imaginecakes Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:48pm
post #12 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Finally got around to buying one myself, have yet to try it...I couldn't find one with a short handle so I hope this one will not be awkward, the handle is like 8"-10" long....

My handles are long too!! I didn't see any other kinds!!

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:50pm
post #13 of 31

I use several different buttercream recipes, but the roller has worked on all of them! It does have to crust first, and the time on that depends on the recipe I use. But don't let it sit too long! It will dry out too much and get wrinkly and cracked.

After I frost, I keep testing the cakes- when I can lightly touch the top and the icing doesn't come off on my finger, it's usually ready to roll. This can take anywhere from 5-20 minutes, I've found. If the icing starts sticking to the roller, just stop and wait a few more minutes.

My package didn't say "high-density" on it, either. But the rollers were not as spongy as the others I saw, so I figured it would work. The packaging did say it was for an "ultra-smooth" finish, or something like that.

noreen816 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noreen816 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:53pm
post #14 of 31

How smoothdoes your cake have to be before you ues the rollers? Right now I use wax paper and a fondant roller to smooth my cakes and they don't get as smooth as the cakes I've seen in pictures! I was just wondering if maybe I'm not icing it correctly.

BlairsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlairsMom Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 4:04pm
post #15 of 31

My cakes are not very smooth before I roll them I just smooth very little with the knife hardly at all and I only have to wait around 5-10 minutes to roll I do the finger test too!! Once you have tried it you won't know what to do with the time it saves you, lol! Melvira is a genius for starting this method!!!

KansasSherry Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KansasSherry Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 4:29pm
post #16 of 31

I need to buy the 2 inch roller, I have the 4 inch and love it....

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 4:43pm
post #17 of 31

I know what you mean, I love using this method. I used my old crusting buttercream recipe and it worked fantastic, but when I use a buttercream that doesn't crust, it didn't look as good. I refrigerate the cake so it will harden up, but still it didn't work very good. Have you had that problem? The recipe that doesn't crust has 2cups shortening, 1 c. butter to 2 lbs p. sugar, the other one only has 1 c. shortening 1 c. butter to 2 lbs p. sugar. The second one works so much better, it just doesn't taste as good, too sweet. thanks

SusieQ1083 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SusieQ1083 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 5:25pm
post #18 of 31

Are there any great recipes out there for a good crusting buttercream?

indydebi Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 5:26pm
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

.... The recipe that doesn't crust has 2cups shortening, 1 c. butter to 2 lbs p. sugar, the other one only has 1 c. shortening 1 c. butter to 2 lbs p. sugar. The second one works so much better, it just doesn't taste as good, too sweet. thanks

3 cups of fat to 2 lbs of sugar?????? icon_surprised.gif Holy Moly! I only use 1-1/3 cups of crisco to 2 lbs of sugar. I'm not having any problems with the new crisco, either. People tell me my icing isn't as sweet as the others they've tasted .... which is amazing to me because "it's made of sugar, people!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen816

How smoothdoes your cake have to be before you ues the rollers?......

I first used this method on my M&M cake (in pics). Since this was a display cake (styrofoam), I didn't beat the icing as long as usual, so when I put it on the cakes, it looked like the skin of SpongeBob SquarePants! LOTS of holes in it. But as you can see from the cake, it smoothed out fabulous! (close up pics on my Flickr! website - link below).

I will never bake a cake without baking strips. I will never ice a cake without my new sponge roller!

cathyscakes Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 6:44pm
post #20 of 31

You won't believe this but the original recipe called for 4 c. of fat, and I cut it down to 3, it is so light and fluffy, and not near as sweet, so I like the taste so much better, but now as easy to work with for smoothing.

indydebi Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 7:15pm
post #21 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyscakes

You won't believe this but the original recipe called for 4 c. of fat, and I cut it down to 3, it is so light and fluffy, and not near as sweet, so I like the taste so much better, but now as easy to work with for smoothing.

Gosh, that sounds like it would just slide down your throat! It doesn't have an overbearing taste of "grease"?

CAKESHERWAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKESHERWAY Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 7:25pm
post #22 of 31

Ummm...I MUST know what and where to get these rollers! I am obsessed with getting my cakes super smooth! Are these actual cake rollers or what? Where (what type of store and where in the store) do you get these?????? Thanks!

indydebi Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 8:03pm
post #23 of 31

Hubby was going to Lowe's so I told him to pick me up one. It says High Density on the cardboard packaging.

cathyscakes Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 8:15pm
post #24 of 31

I know it sounds weird but its true, it tastes less greasy to me, its fluffy and light and not as sweet, I like the flavor so much better, but like I said, its hard to use the roller, and I love that roller! The roller is sold in the paint supplies, its foam, not like the fuzzy paint rollers, I can't find a big one around here, so I use a 4" foam roller, works great.

rocketgirl96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketgirl96 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 10:01pm
post #25 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiecakes

Ummm...I MUST know what and where to get these rollers! I am obsessed with getting my cakes super smooth! Are these actual cake rollers or what? Where (what type of store and where in the store) do you get these?????? Thanks!

amiecakes,
These are just paint rollers - found at any hardware or home improvement store. Just make sure they say "high density" on them.

HTH,
Christine

marybible Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marybible Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 11:40pm
post #26 of 31

Im going to go out this week and buy me a couple of rollers as well. Im very excited. So how about after you finish your cake? Do you wash these every time? This may be a dumb question.

rocketgirl96 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 2:05am
post #27 of 31

Yes, you have to wash these after use (unless you're using parchment paper underneath but I think that's a waste of parchment icon_razz.gif ). Just put some dishsoap on your hands and then rub it on the roller. It's easier to get all the soap out that way rather than putting soap directly on the roller.

HTH,
Christine

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 6:04am
post #28 of 31

LOVE MINE!! The last two cakes I have done people asked if they were fondant, because they were so smooth!

cathyfowler662 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyfowler662 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 6:26am
post #29 of 31

I just used a roller for the first time on a cake and it worked great! The only problem is that I couldn't find a 6" that didn't have a long handle, so I only got a 4". Could see little lines, but looks SOOO much better than before. I think that the 6" would have worked a lot better. This weekend I will really have to find a 6", it is so easy!! LOVE IT! Thanks Melvira!

rocketgirl96 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 1:23pm
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cathyfowler662

The only problem is that I couldn't find a 6" that didn't have a long handle, so I only got a 4".

My 6" has a long handle and it's not a problem at all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%