What Do I Say To Her??? (Long, Venting, Sorry)

Decorating By summernoelle Updated 23 Apr 2007 , 5:52pm by darandon

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:01pm
post #1 of 20

I'm sure this has happened to lots of you, but this is the first time that it has happened to me, so I would like so advice.
One of my neighbors/friends asked me to make a cake for a baby shower, and I agreed. Went out, bought a lot of the supplies, and left several messages to discuss the design. I sent her several photos of designs through email and I told her it would be around $50.
Well, two weeks later of course, there was no response, so I emailed her last night to check in and she said she couldn't afford that much and was going to make a diaper cake! I have already bought the fondant, the most expensive part. And this is a woman who I have bought TONS of stuff from-Pampered Chef things, magazine subscriptions for her daughter's school, way more than $50 worth (more like $200 in total). She is also one of those people that buys anything and everything from door to door salesmen (like $75 for a gallon of cleaning liquid, or $1600 for a vacuum) so I am mad that when it comes to me, she is being cheap.
What should I say to her?

19 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:29pm
post #2 of 20

I don't mean to upset you, but I think it would have been better to have discussed design and price with her before you went out and bought supplies.

I know that you were probably excited about it and had no reason to think she wouldn't have had you make the cake but I have just found that it is better to nail down the details and especially price before you go ahead an incur costs of your own.

Hopefully the supplies are either things that you'll be able to use in the future on other cakes or maybe you could take some of them back.

Yeah, I'd be upset, especially because for her, it seems like price isn't an issue with a lot of other things so I completely understand your feelings on that. But sometimes there isn't an explanation for what people do.

I don't think I would say anything to her but in the future, (especially with her!), I'd either get a signed contract or if you aren't "legal", definitely have an in depth conversation about the design and final cost. HTH!

mrsright41401 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsright41401 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:34pm
post #3 of 20

Sometimes it sucks, but we have to bend over and grab our ankles.

I don't EVER buy supplies until I have money in hand. Ever.

Rachel

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:37pm
post #4 of 20

I wouldn't say anything either. so sorry icon_sad.gif

I get that way too. I anticipate that someone I briefly talk to will definetly get a cake cause I know them so well and sometimes they just fall through. She probably wasn't thinking about all those other things you have purchased through her and only thinking of herself. People don't think that little things like that can hurt someone's feelings.

Maybe now with the supplies you have you can either return them or make a practice cake! Do something different than what you would've made her. Let's just put this in the Lessons Learned column.

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:41pm
post #5 of 20

There's nothing you can say. Just remember that you have no extra money to spend during the next fundraiser or Pampered Chef Party.

summernoelle Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 4:48pm
post #6 of 20

Actually, I could just die right now.
I sent the email to my DH, or I thought it was my DH, and said something snarky about how I thought that it was rude she didn't give me notice. But I hit reply, instead of forward and I sent it to her! Now I have to figure out how to damage control. I've already apologized, but I am pretty sure it is a little too late. icon_redface.gif I seriously do not know how I could have been so stupid.
icon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 4:53pm
post #7 of 20

start looking for a new house.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 4:53pm
post #8 of 20

Well a diper cake is just tacky and maybe you can hack into her email!

summernoelle Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 4:56pm
post #9 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by moydear77

Well a diper cake is just tacky and maybe you can hack into her email!

No, she actually replied to it!
I am so super embarrassed. I wonder if I can just hide from her, even if she lives right across the street? icon_lol.gif

LittleMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleMom Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 5:00pm
post #10 of 20

Oh man... I'm dying too! My day started out with a kitchen fire, and I still think your day is worse! I'm so sorry!

srod911 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srod911 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 5:00pm
post #11 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by alibugs

start looking for a new house.

Summernoelle,

There are plenty of houses in my neighborhood in Plano...you can be my neighbor. icon_rolleyes.gif

It looks like things will be sticky with this neighbor for awhile, hopefully it wil all blow over soon.

thecupcakemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecupcakemom Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 5:03pm
post #12 of 20

Bite hard...this is going to hurt...but, you asked for opinions. Your neigbhor is not in the wrong here. She did not respond to your email... that should have sent up flags. Going forward and purchasing supplies w/o a price negotiated was your decision. It isn't the end of the world as you can either return the products or use for future orders. In my opinion, it is irrelevant how your neighbor spends her money. No one knows her expenses, but her. It is unfair to comment on how she spends money on other things. Everyone has their own set of financial priorities. Chalk this one up to lesson learned with not purchasing until you have confirmation and perhaps take a second to proofread before hitting send. It is what it is...you've apologized. Now it's time to move on. But, if you have a pet rabbit in the backyard you may want to move him... icon_lol.gif

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 5:03pm
post #13 of 20

soooo....what did she say???? icon_eek.gif

archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 5:04pm
post #14 of 20

Wanna make ammends??? Well, now that you already bought the cake supplies...

Can you afford to make her that cake for free? Maybe she really couldn't afford a real edible cake right now.

summernoelle Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 5:06pm
post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

soooo....what did she say???? icon_eek.gif

Welllllllll, she said pretty much what everyone else said: that the party was a week away and that I shouldn't have bought supplies. And then she apologized that she didn't let me know sooner. Still, I feel like a total jerk.
OK, lesson learned!
I think I need to get out of the house for a bit, because I am just CRINGING at myself.
Maybe I should park in the garage so that she won't know I am home? icon_redface.gificon_lol.gif

summernoelle Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 5:07pm
post #16 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by archanac

Can you afford to make her that cake for free? Maybe she really couldn't afford a real edible cake right now (imagine having to save up money for a new baby).

Seriously, should I do that? I guess I should to be nice.
What do you think? Should I email her and ask? Or even scarier, walk over there?

archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 5:11pm
post #17 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by archanac

Can you afford to make her that cake for free? Maybe she really couldn't afford a real edible cake right now.

Seriously, should I do that? I guess I should to be nice.
What do you think? Should I email her and ask? Or even scarier, walk over there?

You can always ask if they ever got a real cake and if not, then tell her that you feel horrible for what happened and that you want to make up for it. And of course, take it like a man: WALK over there--you can't stay in hiding forever (unless you are planning on moving).

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 5:31pm
post #18 of 20

Yeah, I think in this case you ought to just suck it up and take the blame...since it was a bit of a faux paux (spelling?) Even though IMO it would have been nice of her to let you know! but you are neighbors and it might just be easier to "take it like a man" as the above poster suggested. Sometimes you just have to cut your losses! Maybe you could take her a little cake and apologize. Just say something to the effect that you were disappointed that you didnt have the opportunity to make the cake and that you shouldnt have spent time researching/designing/shopping for the cake when she hadnt given the go ahead. So sorry for you!!

summernoelle Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 5:38pm
post #19 of 20

Thanks for all the support! I will let you all know how it goes.

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 5:52pm
post #20 of 20

If she was a friend before all of this started, she will probably stay a friend once it all settles down. I'd offer her an "I'm sorry cake" or find out if she still needed to have a cake for her shower.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%