Fondant Consistency Question

Decorating By lonestarstamper Updated 23 Apr 2007 , 4:23am by moydear77

lonestarstamper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lonestarstamper Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:45am
post #1 of 4

I only use Satin Ice fondant because I love the taste of it. The problem I've had a couple of times is maintaining the consistency and elasticity of it when I have to add a lot of gel color. For example, I made a cake today that I had to cover in maroon colored fondant. To match the color exactly I had to add a whole lot of red (I used Super Red) and a some brown. I got the color I wanted but with adding as much gel color as I needed, the fondant started getting sticky and then I'd have to use additional shortening to keep it from sticking to the mat and rolling pin and my gloves. Then I tried to roll it out and it tore when I tried to lift it so I had to knead again and then roll out again. I got it on the cake on my second try but had a bit of cracking so it seemed more dry than it really was. It also makes it very hard to smooth because it will tear so easily since it's softer than usual. There has to be something that can be done to get it back to a more workable texture. Have you had this problem and what do you recommend for these situations?

3 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:49am
post #2 of 4

When you add that much liquid, you have to compensate by adding more powdered sugar or you will have the exact problems you stated. Also, Satin Ice makes a pre colored red (and other colors) that is much easier than coloring white.

lonestarstamper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lonestarstamper Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 4:03am
post #3 of 4

I just saw the other post about red fondant. Guess it's the problem of the day. Actually, I didn't have a lot of time to plan for this cake so I couldn't have ordered the red Satin Ice in time. But I thought about how much easier it would be. I had to color 5lbs. of fondant and complained the entire time. I'm pretty sure my arms are going to be sore tomorrow! I told my husband "now, if I only had an airbrush I could just cover the cake and then spray the cake and it would save me a whole lot of time and trouble!". To which he replied "Okay, I know you need an airbrush. Soon.". LOL Okay, so I should have added powdered sugar. I was afraid to add PS because I thought it would make it dry and it'd crack but it did that anyway. Egads. Now I know. Thanks for your reply Kory.

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 4:23am
post #4 of 4

When coloring very dark colors I color days in advance to give it time to dry. i have used the premade colors and they are very soft.

and A air brush can work miracles in these cases!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%