Saco Foods Buttermilk Blend

Decorating By mochaboi Updated 3 May 2005 , 5:22pm by mochaboi

mochaboi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mochaboi Posted 2 May 2005 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 11

Preface: I wanted to wait to test this product on several different recipes before I posted.

I was planning on making a cake that called for Buttermilk. On my run to Walmart, I was distraught to find that they didn't have any. I really wanted to try this recipe. Well, I was walking down the baking isle and saw this can of Buttermilk Blend by Saco Foods. I was a bit apprehensive at first, but I really wanted to try this recipe...So I bought it, and tried it. The cake was amazing. So I decided i would try it in another cake..Same results...So, for anyone who uses Buttermilk in your cake recipes, I highly recommend it!

10 replies
momof3jotynjake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momof3jotynjake Posted 2 May 2005 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochaboi

Preface: I wanted to wait to test this product on several different recipes before I posted.

I was planning on making a cake that called for Buttermilk. On my run to Walmart, I was distraught to find that they didn't have any. I really wanted to try this recipe. Well, I was walking down the baking isle and saw this can of Buttermilk Blend by Saco Foods. I was a bit apprehensive at first, but I really wanted to try this recipe...So I bought it, and tried it. The cake was amazing. So I decided i would try it in another cake..Same results...So, for anyone who uses Buttermilk in your cake recipes, I highly recommend it!

wow!! what did it do to the cake??? what kind of cake did you try that on?
oo i better give that a try!!

CIndymm4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CIndymm4 Posted 2 May 2005 , 7:43pm
post #3 of 11

I have seen that before and wondered how it worked.....I use buttermilk for certain cakes and seems like when I need buttermilk, what I have has expired and I have to run out and get some.....thanks for the tip, I'm going to try it!!

mochaboi Posted 2 May 2005 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 11

Well, It definitely gave the cakes a noticable moistness. Mind you, I come from a family of cake bakers, though I was bitten by the bug just recently, all of the cakes I do are from scratch, typically my grandmothers recipes. I have done a Buttermilk Poudcake (My initial reason for buying it)...I have also tried it in a Red Velvet Cake that was absolutely delish
I would highly recommend it.

Mochaboi

momof3jotynjake Posted 2 May 2005 , 9:04pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:

Well, It definitely gave the cakes a noticable moistness. Mind you, I come from a family of cake bakers, though I was bitten by the bug just recently, all of the cakes I do are from scratch, typically my grandmothers recipes. I have done a Buttermilk Poudcake (My initial reason for buying it)...I have also tried it in a Red Velvet Cake that was absolutely delish
I would highly recommend it.

Mochaboi

GREAT! DO YOU SUBSTITUE THE BUTTERMILK IN PLACE OF ALL THE WATER THE CAKE CALLS FOR?

mochaboi Posted 2 May 2005 , 11:38pm
post #6 of 11

Well, I replace it for the milk in the recipe. It's basically like powdered buttermilk. It explains how to use it on the can, but it's fairly simple...You sift the Buttermilk Blend with your dry ingredients, and when the recipe calls for the addition of milk, you add the amount of water the can calls for.

for 1 cup of milk it's 4 tbl of the Buttermilk Blend mix to 1 cup of water..They have smaller breakdowns on the can as well. I went back to Walmart and grabbed a couple more cans. You basically keep it on your shelf until you open it, once you open it you keep it in the fridge. The can of Blend is equivalent to 3.75 quarts of Buttermilk.

momof3jotynjake Posted 3 May 2005 , 1:07am
post #7 of 11
Quote:

Well, I replace it for the milk in the recipe. It's basically like powdered buttermilk. It explains how to use it on the can, but it's fairly simple...You sift the Buttermilk Blend with your dry ingredients, and when the recipe calls for the addition of milk, you add the amount of water the can calls for.

for 1 cup of milk it's 4 tbl of the Buttermilk Blend mix to 1 cup of water..They have smaller breakdowns on the can as well. I went back to Walmart and grabbed a couple more cans. You basically keep it on your shelf until you open it, once you open it you keep it in the fridge. The can of Blend is equivalent to 3.75 quarts of Buttermilk.

ok! cool! thanks!
i guess you can use the regular buttermilk too then? the liquid...

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 3 May 2005 , 1:33pm
post #8 of 11

http://www.thecookinginn.com/buttermilk/buttermilk.html this site tells you how to make buttermilk out of regular milk (it lists several different ways)

mochaboi Posted 3 May 2005 , 3:37pm
post #9 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof3jotynjake

ok! cool! thanks!
i guess you can use the regular buttermilk too then? the liquid...

Well, on the can it says to use water. The powder is the buttermilk that you would normally use in liquid form. I think if you used Buttermilk with the Buttermilk Blend, you'll probably have too much buttermilk in your recipe. I hope that's what you meant..LOL

Mchelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mchelle Posted 3 May 2005 , 3:40pm
post #10 of 11

I used it too and it works grat. You don't have to worry about buying all that buttermilk only to waste half of the container. I love this stuff!

mochaboi Posted 3 May 2005 , 5:22pm
post #11 of 11

Whew..I'm glad I'm not the only one...But yes, I love the stuff too.

Love the Avatar, Mchelle!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%