Spoke Before I Thought

Decorating By charman Updated 3 May 2006 , 3:30am by smashcakes

charman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charman Posted 2 May 2006 , 5:48pm
post #1 of 7

My son's preschool (4 year old class) is having an end of the year picnic for the kids, and when I read the newsletter, I noticed the teachers provide the cake. Light bulb went off, and I emailed the teacher asking what they plan to do in regards to these cakes...buy, make themselves, etc. Mentioned that I make cakes on the side for mad money, and would be interested.

Well, got a reply back of excitment, and told that they normally buy 2-3 48 serving Costco (warehouse) cakes, but she would love to contribute to my mad money pile instead!! Oh my...what have I done?!? She said I could pick the theme and do as I please. Whatever I don't want to make, they will buy, etc.

So, now I need some ideas of what to make, how to decorate, etc. Like I said...I spoke before I thought.

Obviously, all of these little kids will be headed to Kindergarten next year, and it probably should be something school related. I did a gallery search on here, but nothing really jumped out. Would you guys be of assistance, and past me some ideas please. I would greatly appreciate it.

6 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 May 2006 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 7

I am doing the same thing too....my son's playschool class is also having a year end picnic and I was asked by the owner/teacher if I would do a large cake for money of course but I offered to donate the cake since my son has enjoyed going to the school for the last 2 years.I am doing a large chalkboard with chocolate pieces,I bought a candy mold from ebay with scissors,stapler,school bus,ruler,apple on it.I think I may put all the kids name on it also.

Kimanalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimanalynn Posted 2 May 2006 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 7

Here is a link to a discussion about kindergarten graduation; you don't have to say anything about graduation, but some of the ideas about making the cake into a chalkboard, and the little fondant pieces sounds cute -
http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-20608-.html

ozzynjojo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ozzynjojo Posted 2 May 2006 , 5:55pm
post #4 of 7

You could always use a picture of the schools theme, mascot, school name. Put Class of 2006. Really bright and colorful.
Hope that helps a little.....Good luck!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 2 May 2006 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 7

empty school house,
teachers leaving (free at last!!!)

School's OUT for summer

little scenes celebrating all the joys of summer:
fishing
swimming
vacation
lemonade stand
camping
swings
VBS
etc

kjb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjb Posted 2 May 2006 , 6:03pm
post #6 of 7

what about a sheet cake made into a chalk board with the alphabet on it or writing paper with the lines on to teach how to write your letters and numbers?

Or maybe discovery cakes? things your son has been learing about...one with alphabet/numbers, one with animals/bugs one with books/favorite music lyrics ...just some ideas....

hope you come up with something great!

Kimberly

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 3 May 2006 , 3:30am
post #7 of 7

if you're doing sheet cakes, an image of a playground jumped in my head. you could make a little slide/teeter totters out of fondant, little fondant kids running around etc. if you have the stand up house pan, you could put that on top of it and decorate it like a typical old fashioned red schoolhouse

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%