Cake Supply Storage

Decorating By DeniseMarlaine Updated 13 Jun 2006 , 3:57am by JulieB

neicey1971 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neicey1971 Posted 5 May 2006 , 1:15pm
post #31 of 42

I have reserved some shelves in my laundry room for my cake supplies. I have purchased some inexpensive drawer units for storing various items. I have purchased larger drawer units placed underneath my shelves for cake pans, large cake plates, cake toppers and my large collection of cookie cutters.

Because most of my supplies are seperated into small drawers, I only have to pull out the drawers that I need. It makes clean up quick and easy. Each drawer is labled, so if I need my hubby or children to grab something for me they know exactly where to look for it.

jennifer293 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifer293 Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 3:07pm
post #32 of 42

I have a closet in my hall next to the washer and dryer closet that was intended for blankets and such, but I totally cleaned it out and now it has all of my pans, my tackle box, tints, spatulas, pretty much anything cake related in it. It has 4 wire shelves and then a large bottom floor where I store my blender, crockpot, george foreman grill, etc. When I grow out of this one I have another HUGE closet upstairs that I store baby clothes in right now but I am getting ready to get rid of all of that stuff!!! She is 2 and I am not having anymore!!! It is time for it all to GO!!! icon_lol.gif

DeniseMarlaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseMarlaine Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 3:23pm
post #33 of 42

I found a great big plastic toolbox at Meijers. It has wheels on one end and a handle that pulls out so you can pull it around like a little wagon. It's got two divided trays for the smaller stuff and lots of room underneath for the big stuff. It doesn't hold everything I have, but it does hold most of it. We're in the middle of putting new closet organizers in a couple of our closets that are just around the corner from the kitchen, so I had DH leave a space on the floor that's just big enough for my big toolbox. Above that will be a shelf for my pans, etc., and Wilton carryall (which I kept for storing tips and bags). I've been too busy organizing and painting closets to bake a cake, but I think this is going to make it much easier to find what I need and keep things organized. Can't wait to try it out!

BritBB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BritBB Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 3:41pm
post #34 of 42

I have the big Rubber Maid containers, as well as the stacking drawers - all from Home Depot. And I am fortunate enough to have a 'cake' shed. My husband built it for me specially in the yard. I also have a refrigerator in there just for my cakes, so I'm a happy bunny!

Rodneyck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 9 Jun 2006 , 5:12pm
post #36 of 42

I'm laughing as I read this post! It seems I'm utilizing ALL the things posted on here! I did have all my pans on shelves in the laundry room, but my DH recently hung them all up on the walls for me! he even had to drill a very small hole in some of the pans that didn't already have one - but he was careful not to damage the pan itself. Also, I have an old TV entertainment unit in my dining room where I store all my powdered sugar, marshmallows, criscoe, pudding mix, cake mixes, etc. etc. in the drawers and tall shelves, and my cake stands on the open shelves. I have fondant cutouts, fondant and cookie cutters stored in plastic containers in an unused hall closet along with my (growing) collection of scrapbook paper, wrapping paper, discontinued wallpaper books, contact paper, non-skid shelf liner, hatboxes and cakes boxes, cake boards, and ribbon. (Whew!!) I just recently acquired a tool box very similar to Rodneyck's pic above from Wal-mart - I have my bags, tips, couplers, spatulas, level, scissors, pizza cutter, wooden dowels, paper towels, etc. stored in it and it's perfect to keep right next to my at the bar or dining table while I'm working! (Uh, do you think this hobby is taking over the house just a wee bit?? haha!!)

DeniseMarlaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseMarlaine Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 7:11pm
post #37 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BritBB

I have the big Rubber Maid containers, as well as the stacking drawers - all from Home Depot. And I am fortunate enough to have a 'cake' shed. My husband built it for me specially in the yard. I also have a refrigerator in there just for my cakes, so I'm a happy bunny!

Good for you Brit! Building a shed is a big job. Unfortunately, if I had to go out to the shed in the winter I'd be a frozen bunny icon_smile.gif !

Redneyck, your photo looks a lot like the tool box I have. Mine's kind of more horizontal though. Yours looks sort of like a suitcase.

knoxcop1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knoxcop1 Posted 11 Jun 2006 , 7:24pm
post #38 of 42

I have an old filing cabinet in my den closet. That's where my stuff goes. I was surprised how many cheesecake and cake pans that thing holds!

And as for the tips/bags, that all goes into a Wilton tool box that sits on top of the filing cabinet.

Then, when the closet door's closed...everything's up & out of the way.

--Knox--

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 12:20pm
post #39 of 42

IKEA has a lot of good stuff for storage and they are cheap too! They have these larger sized "tackle" boxes there for $3. I don't have any yet, but was planning on getting some to organize my boys' legos. I hadn't even though of them for cake stuff, but I think they would work well. Right now I have everything in rubbermaid pins on a bookcase and it's not working all that well...it's hard to find things. My hubby was just complaining this morning about all my cake stuff taking over our kitchen. He said he's going to get me one of thoes stainless steel kitchen racks.

Courtney

tsgsell02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tsgsell02 Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 4:05pm
post #40 of 42

I bought in Walmart Hardware section, a two tier toolbox with plenty of compartments for carrying all of my supplies to the classes i teach. AND the best price was the price...19.99.

jessireb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessireb Posted 12 Jun 2006 , 4:36pm
post #41 of 42

I use a tool box from Walmart and I also use my daughter's bedroom - she doesn't live w/me anymore icon_sad.gif

JulieB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieB Posted 13 Jun 2006 , 3:57am
post #42 of 42

Yeesh, I don't think I'll EVER! figure out how to effective store all my cake stuff. I have that Wilton tackle box, and it doesn't hold enough. I only ever used it to take stuff to class, and had to repack for each class. I have several boxes and containers stacked in my hall closet, with other stuff all around my kitchen. I'm sure I'll run out of space soon, and frankly, when I decorate a cake, I just go on a scavenger hunt for supplies......... I need a system.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%