What Color Goes Best With Babypoop Icing?

Decorating By jenndga Updated 24 Apr 2007 , 1:31pm by Yayaism

jenndga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenndga Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 12:00am
post #1 of 16

I have been lurking and learning and finally my first post... why does it have to be for a disaster? LOL...

I am making my MIL a cake for her birthday tomorrow. It's only my second cake that I have attempted to actually decorate. I made a huge batch of buttercream dream icing and wanted it to be a pale yellow. I started out with buttercup, but it ended up being WAY too yellow.

After reading the tip post about how violet counteracts yellow, I added a little to see if I could tone it down. BAD IDEA! icon_eek.gif I now have babypoop colored icing!

I made pink drop flowers to go on the cake and they just look horrific against the yellow!!! I figure it is easier to make a new small batch of royal icing for some new drop flowers than to redo the main frosting...

Question is, does a color exists that complements the mustardy yellow of baby poo??? If so, please let me know - I've got some drop flowers to make!!!!!

Thankyaverymuch! icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 12:13am
post #2 of 16

Well, thats kinda poopy........... icon_confused.gif
All I ever do is keep adding colors till it turns black.....lol

jenndga Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 12:22am
post #3 of 16

Okay, here is a pic of the babypoo cake... it's currently upside down and setting up in the fridge... icon_cry.gif

This darned thing has taken me 6 hours already... of course dear old hubby wanted it to be a white chocolate cheesecake sandwiched inbetween layers of brownie with raspberry filling... all that work and now this! Yikes...
LL

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 12:38am
post #4 of 16

Well at least its really smooth!! When I see that color I don't see baby poo, just a really bold yellow. So I would keep with the bold colors... like a red? Maybe you can do fondant diamonds and stuff on it and make it like a harlequin design...

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 12:47am
post #5 of 16

try earth tones and avocado. that yellow is definitely early 1970's.\\

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 12:49am
post #6 of 16

I just did a cake, didn't post yet will tomorrow they wanted maroon and mustard yellow. Everyone seems to like it.

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 12:54am
post #7 of 16

Take a look at www.behr.com. It's a paint company, and they have an "explore color" option that allows you to choose a color and they will find several coordinating color options for you. icon_smile.gif I've used it tons of times for scrapbooking, it would be great for situations like this, too. icon_smile.gif Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 12:55am
post #8 of 16

White or Chocolate....

Or make new icing. icon_biggrin.gif That is, if you hate the color that much...better to use new icing and do it over than to regret making it.

But otherwise a chocolate border and maybe some chocolate roses might look nice.

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 1:12am
post #9 of 16

Thanks nannaraguel that's a great idea.

jenndga Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 1:17am
post #10 of 16

Rolling up my sleeves and going back to the kitchen... hope I can pull something off, it will be a long night! I will be back with the results!

Thanks for all the input, good ideas! thumbs_up.gif

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 1:35am
post #11 of 16

ooooo hun, i am sooo sorry..........violet IS the compliment of yellow, when dark yellow and violet or purple are combined full strentch you get a lovely shade of gold or worse umm, scours (if ya'll have ever lived on a farm ya know what i mean!!)
when you mix compliments they cancel each other out..thus making brown or gray or even black. When you make another batch of icing, try adding the yellow just a little at a time. remember that stuff goes a long way. yellow and blue especially. And yes if your icing is tinted slightly yellow from butter or margerine then yeah the violet thing will work but not on full strength yellow. If you were goin for a gold color that would work wonderfully. O and the nice name for that color you came up with is yellow ochre icon_biggrin.gif

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:32am
post #12 of 16

Can you make it a pretty tan/light mocha color because pink looks great with that color?

jenndga Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 4:21am
post #13 of 16

Okay, it's after midnight, but I finished the darned cake! The celebration is after work tomorrow (she HAD to have it on her real birthday!!!), so no time after work, had to be done tonight...

I made a half batch of buttercream in white and frosted right over the yellow. It shows through in some spots, but it's my husbands mom, so I'm sure she'll forgive me! icon_biggrin.gif

I proceeded with decorations as planned, although my writing straight is going to take some work!!! LOL!

Thanks for the support, can't wait to try out another cake!

Here's the finished product!
LL

MissLady85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLady85 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 8:54am
post #14 of 16

i think it looks pretty... just tell her you layered it.. im sure she wont make a big deal!!! great save!!!

nannaraquel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannaraquel Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 12:24pm
post #15 of 16

Suebee...sure thing, always happy to help in any way I can! icon_smile.gif

Yayaism Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yayaism Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 1:31pm
post #16 of 16

You can always say that the coloring is a new technique you are learning, and how you really did it well on your 1st attempt icon_wink.gif . The way the yellow is marbled in, it really looks more like is was done my design! Very pretty effect icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%