How Do I Color Icing In Silver

Decorating By sbsb Updated 4 May 2006 , 7:51pm by jacksjoyce

sbsb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbsb Posted 2 May 2006 , 9:20am
post #1 of 13

Hi
This is the first time, i join to a forum.
I need help, have to make a fondant cake and decorate with cornelli lace in silver, how do i color royal icing in silver.
Sofia

12 replies
fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 2 May 2006 , 12:48pm
post #2 of 13

Are you wanting to put the silver color in your pastry bag? I'M not sure it can be done! You would just have to experiment with it. The only thing I can think of is for you to brush over the cake lightly with a brush to give it a silvery shimmery look.This is a question for someone more knowledgable than I. Be patient someone will answer. In most of our country we are sleeping while you are awake. Welcome to CC. You will get a lot of help. Where do you live in Portugal. What a wonderful, beautiful, little country!

sbsb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbsb Posted 2 May 2006 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 13

Thank you for your reply, i was thinking in painting after royal icing dry, because i tried to join the silver dust in icing, but did not like the result.
sorry about the my Inglish. I live in lisboa.

Bololouco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bololouco Posted 4 May 2006 , 10:53am
post #4 of 13

Hi Sofia! I´m also portuguese a live in Lisbon. I´m sorry for my english and its my firt time in this site and in a forum.
The only why I know it to diluit the silver dust in alcool and then after the icing is dry paint it with it.
Good luck (Boa sorte)

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 4 May 2006 , 11:03am
post #5 of 13

Sorry, I think you have to paint it. How about a silver background with white lace on top? This would be so much easier. Best of Luck!

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 4 May 2006 , 11:04am
post #6 of 13

You take silver dust and add alittle lemon extract
to it and with a small tip brush, apply to the royal
icing.
So decorate with the royal first, then apply the
silver lightly after it drys.
hope this helps.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 4 May 2006 , 12:06pm
post #7 of 13

Here is a recipe I had posted awhile back:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-7745-gold.html

HTH!! icon_biggrin.gif

vixterfsu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vixterfsu Posted 4 May 2006 , 12:16pm
post #8 of 13

AHHH, Mis, I was scrambling to find it and couldn't.
Thanks
vicki

jacksjoyce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacksjoyce Posted 4 May 2006 , 12:17pm
post #9 of 13

Could someone please tell me what exactly you mean when you refer to piping gel? Is it something I buy....or just diluted royal icing?
Thanks..

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 4 May 2006 , 12:37pm
post #10 of 13

Here you go:

It's a clear gel (you can also purchase colored gel) and has a ton of uses. It can be used as a glue to attach flowers, it can piped on or used to resemble water, it can be added to BC to add elasticity for stringwork and flowers etc.

HTH! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

cashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cashley Posted 4 May 2006 , 12:42pm
post #11 of 13

If you don't have piping gel you could use white corn syrup.

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 4 May 2006 , 12:49pm
post #12 of 13

I also use piping gel as my crusting icing. It works great and has no taste but also keeps the cake very moist!!! I've also been able to get my cakes smoother since I started using it and I've had no problems with crumbs in my cake. I made a devil's food cake (a cake decorator's nightmare) this past weekend and iced with white icing after putting the piping gel on it. Not a single crumb!!! What I try to do is bake the cake the afternoon before I need it, after it cools I put the piping gel on it and let it sit overnight. It is ready to be iced the next morning.

jacksjoyce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jacksjoyce Posted 4 May 2006 , 7:51pm
post #13 of 13

Thanks so much. I love you guys. I've learned more in the short time since i found this site than in the last 6 years by myself! (P.S. I even mentioned to my husband how someone posted that their husband washed dishes and cleaned up after her when she baked .....well guess what? Last night he cleaned up our kitchen while I was decorating a cake.....I almost fainted!) Thanks again !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%