How To Make Fondant Tulips?

Decorating By nocentstar Updated 3 Jun 2006 , 4:04pm by beez

nocentstar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nocentstar Posted 1 May 2006 , 8:48pm
post #1 of 4

Hi guys,

Does anyone have instructions for making fondant tulips? I know it can't be hard, but I'm unsure of how exactly to do them. Any tips/help would be most appreciated!

Thank you!

3 replies
lainee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainee Posted 4 May 2006 , 5:28am
post #2 of 4

I would like to know this too. I checked the Wilton site and it describes how to make them out of gumpaste. You use the biggest rose petal cutter, but it doesn't say much after that. I assume you gently shape it to form a tulip after that. So if anyone has step by step instructions, please share.
Here's your bump.

fronklowes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fronklowes Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 2:11pm
post #3 of 4

I know how to make tulips out of gumpaste, but it should work the same for fondant. You will simply need to allow more time for drying. The cutter I use is from the Wilton Gumpaste Flowers kit. It has three rounded petals. You will need to make two cutouts that are maybe 1/8" thick so you have some room to roll.

Powder one `cutout and your thin foam (my teacher told us to use equal parts cornstarch and powdered sugar in a reusabe wipe and tie with a rubber band). Place one cutout on your thin foam. Place the other under something to keep it from drying out. Using a rounded stick or modeling tool, carefully widen each petal. You will want to place your stick in the middle of each petal and roll towards the edge. So, you'll roll twice on each petal to widen both sides of the petal. Once you have completed this process on each petal, pick the cutout up and dust it again, dust your foam again, and flip the cutout over. Repeat until the process until the petals are your desired width. Then, lengthen each petal using your rounded stick. Once again, do this one time to each petal, then repowder so you won't have as many problems with sticking. Repeat until you have the desired length. Do not thin the very middle of the cutout. Then ruffle the edges slightly with a ball tool.

Place some kleenex in the bottom of a shallow cup or bowl and then place the first cutout in it in a cupped position. Widen, lengthen, and ruffle the second cutout the same as the first. You may want to compare the size of the petals on the first cutout to the size of the petals on the second cutout so they are similar size.

Once both cutouts are finished, take the first cutout out of the cup and drape it over the end of a small rolling pin, cupped side down. Place a little bit of water on the center of the cutout and the inside edges of the petals. Take the second cutout and drape it over the first one, aligning the second cutout so the petals are inbetween the petals of the first cutout. Gently form the flower into the cupped position that you want, using the rolling pin for support. Then, place your cupped hand over the flower and carefully flip the rolling pin over to remove the flower from the rolling pin. Once again, place the completed flower in the tissue-filled cup for support while it dries. You may want to shred the tissue some and place it around the edges of the petals to give the flower the proper support. You may also want to put some shredded tissue in the middle of the flower, depending on whether you want a closed, partially opened, or full bloom tulip.

Something else you might do is run a ridged toothpick or skewer across each petal before you ruffle it to give it some vein lines. You could probably even use the skewer to ruffle it on the edges...Just an idea I want to try sometime soon...thought I'd share...

Good luck everyone! I hope I didn't leave anything out. icon_smile.gif

beez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beez Posted 3 Jun 2006 , 4:04pm
post #4 of 4

Thank you so much fronklowes. Your directions were wonderful. I'm going to try my hand at the tulips. thumbs_up.gif

Any idea why my post was deleted? All it said was "Bumpity Bump" and asked if anyone had directions. Hmmmm.... icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%