Wedding Cake Dilemma

Baking By karensue Updated 23 Apr 2007 , 7:41am by alibugs

karensue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensue Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 13

I've been meeting with a bride for a wedding cake in August. It will be white with buttercream icing, very simply decorated, for 300 people. I quoted them a price of $3.00 per serving. I received an email from the bride telling me that t she had talked with another person and she quoted them a price of $2.00/serving. The bride said she really wants to use me, but wanted a price adjustment. I had previously told her that I would give her a 10% discount because at that time, hers would have been my first wedding cake. That would bring price to $2.70/serving. This would now be my third wedding cake. I'm considering another 10%. What would you all do?

12 replies
SugarplumStudio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarplumStudio Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 1:53pm
post #2 of 13

Don't do it! She may be bluffing about the $2, since you've already told her it was your first and acquiesced once on the price.
If you really want the cake and are willing to do it for $2, tell her you will match a written quote for the same size and style from the other baker.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 2:03pm
post #3 of 13

She sounds EXACTLY like a student of Stephi Stewart!

(insert whiny blonde voice here); "Oh I'd REALLY like you to do the cake but you will have to come down on your price before I REWARD you with my business!"

Pul-lease!

karensue Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 2:56pm
post #4 of 13

Anyone else?

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 3:16pm
post #5 of 13

Please don't sell yourself short!

I just looked at your photos, and you do BEAUTIFUL work!

Stick with your original price.

Amberslilzoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amberslilzoo Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 3:22pm
post #6 of 13

Your cakes are GORGEOUS! In fact everything on your page is gorgeous. I wouldn't do it. I agree, she could be bluffing. You are worth WAY more than $2 a serving. Stick to your gunsicon_biggrin.gif

MillyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MillyCakes Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 13

You told her $3.00 a slice - stick to it!!!!!!!! You are worth it! thumbs_up.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 13

She IS bluffing! icon_eek.gif

Quote:
Quote:

If you really want the cake and are willing to do it for $2, tell her you will match a written quote for the same size and style from the other baker.

Keyword: written

You don't have to be mean about it. Just say it very politely!

Good luck! thumbs_up.gif

yh9080 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yh9080 Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 3:40pm
post #9 of 13

I think she is probably bluffing too. Don't come down anymore unless she provides a WRITTEN quote. After all, if you want Wal-Mart to match a price from another store, you have to take the ad in.

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 3:41pm
post #10 of 13

She knows your price, and if she really wants to use your services, she'll pay for them.
Otherwise, she can get what she pays for elsewhere.

karensue Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 12:16am
post #11 of 13

Thanks everyone for your wise advice. I sent an email to the bride and said I would honor the 10% discount I offered at one of our first meetings. I also told her that I would need something in writing from the other baker to make sure that we were comparing apples with apples before I would even consider any further price adjustment. I also asked her to think about what was more important to her--quality or saving a little money. If she was confident that she wouldn't be sacrificing quality to save money, then go with the $2/serving. But because she has already tasted my cakes and knows the quality of them, I really can't imagine that she wouldn't be sacrificing quality. I think I might do it for $2.50/serving because that's only 20 cents less than what I've already quoted, but she doesn't know that. I want to give her some time to think about things. I would really like the opportunity to do this size of wedding cake, but realize I have to be careful not to let brides determine my price per serving. Thanks again to you all. I'll let you know what happens.

MissLady85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissLady85 Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 7:27am
post #12 of 13

karensue- You do BEAUTIFUL work, dont let her haggle you about price. Quality isnt cheap, cheap isnt quality, i saw that on someones signature and they were right!!! Personally id pay $1.00 more a serving to have a great tasting and looking wedding cake!!! The cakes at my fathers wedding were HORRIBLE and that was the only thing people talked about while we were there!! I hope the bride to be comes to her senses on this one.... keep us posted!!

alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 7:41am
post #13 of 13

nope, don't go down. Fifty cents less is alot for 300. That is 150 dollars. stick to your guns with $3. She told you she wanted you more, she'll come back, don't worry. If she doesn't, OH WELL! You are very good, you will get more weddings.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%