How Do You Make Sharp Corners

Decorating By iceberg Updated 2 May 2006 , 12:47am by wolfley29

iceberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iceberg Posted 1 May 2006 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 6

On square cakes. My corners are always somewhat rounded. Is there a technique for making them sharp?

5 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 1 May 2006 , 3:41pm
post #2 of 6

This is something I struggle with as well, but CakeCentral has a good article on it here:
http://www.cakecentral.com/article51-How-To-Frost-a-Square-Cake.html

iceberg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iceberg Posted 1 May 2006 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 6

Oops....I forgot to say "when working with fondant" How do you get sharp corners?

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 1 May 2006 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 6

Heh...whoops! icon_smile.gif I've only made one square fondant cake, so the best suggestion I have is to keep pulling down gently on the bottom edge of the fondant while you use your other hand to contour the fondant to the corner of the cake until it's nice and tight. It will never look as perfectly square as buttercream, though.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 1 May 2006 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 6

i don't mean to hijack the thread, but I am looking at bkeiths article right now practice and I seem to be confused when it says build up and then pull to the left (3rd step?)

wolfley29 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wolfley29 Posted 2 May 2006 , 12:47am
post #6 of 6

I flatened the sides and got a triangle on the corners. After pulling the cornersthin, I was able to cut off the triangle and smooth it down to form the square edge for the corner. If you want, the next time I do a square cake corner, I can take pictures (step by step) to show the process. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%