Crisis! Please Help Me Salvage...

Decorating By MandMCakeDesigns Updated 22 Apr 2007 , 3:40am by MandMCakeDesigns

MandMCakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MandMCakeDesigns Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 9:35pm
post #1 of 10

Hi, ladies. I was asked to do a cake this weekend about a month ago. There was a Ladies Retreat at my church that I had already paid for, so being new at this, I was hesitant to try a cake the same weekend. The lady assured me the cake was small, so I committed to do it.

Needless to say, a cake for 30 turned into a cake for 50. ...I am tired, don't feel so great and I fell asleep and let my BC crust over for too long. It is all bumpy and cracky and I can't get it smooth. What's the best way to fix it? Can I frost over it or should I just call the lady and ask it if can have fondant over it? --which I know would be unprofessional, but I am REALLY new at this and only do cakes for friends....

I just need help....PLEASE tell me I don't have to bake it over or anything horrendous like that....

9 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 9:40pm
post #2 of 10

no you certainly don't have to bake it over. I use a non-crusting buttercream so I don't have any great tips of uncrusting it but as a worst-case scenario you can always remove the icing and redo it.

itsloops Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsloops Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 9:41pm
post #3 of 10

Wow!
I'm sorry you're having such a hard time with BC. I'm not sure how to fix so I'll bump you.

Ariginal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ariginal Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 9:42pm
post #4 of 10

Would a hot knife or spatula do it?

3tiers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3tiers Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 10

I agree - I have had to do that before. Just scrape the icing off and go over it with fresh buttercream. Good luck!

rezzygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rezzygirl Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 9:43pm
post #6 of 10

Yes you can frost over it very carefully. If you have a quick icer tip that would be best. Or You can take a paper towel, soak it in warm water and wring it well. Then lay it all over the surface of the cake. That should moisten it up a little. Run a spatula under hot water, shake off excess water and smooth icing. HTH

-Rezzy

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 9:44pm
post #7 of 10

several options:

most drastic -- scrape off the icing and reice

less drastic --

spatula heated in hot water, wiped and then used to smooth -- sort of melts the icing smooth -- must keep reheating

or

a trick I learned from my Wilton teacher -- a clean (used for nothing else) spray bottle full of HOT water.
Mist the cake and use the hot spatula -- the water rehydrates outer layer of frosting and also helps keep spatula from sticking.

OR

just don't wipe the spatula after heating it in hot water.

I prefer the spray bottle as can get lighter, more even mist of water than w/ a wet spatula.

just be careful to spritz only a little bit.

then let it recrust some and use the melvira method or viva paper towel method.

viva method: http://www.cakecentral.com/article10-How-To-Create-Faux-Fondant-The-Paper-Towel-Method----Viva.html

melvira method:
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-49423-method.html
http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-47753-method.html

HTH

( P.S. -- anyone know where I can get a GLASS spray bottle -- have already melted two plastic ones heating them in microwave!)

MandMCakeDesigns Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 9:54pm
post #8 of 10

Thanks so much! I already tried the hot, dry spatula, so I will try the rest and see how it goes. I'll let you know how it works out..

p.s. Doug--- have you tried a beauty supply store-- like Sally Beauty Supply or some other place that sells stuff to hair stylists? Probably your best bet--- or at least you can stock up on cheap plastic ones... icon_lol.gif

mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 12:51am
post #9 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

( P.S. -- anyone know where I can get a GLASS spray bottle -- have already melted two plastic ones heating them in microwave!)

Dollar store baby....the one by us sells glass ones. Try there icon_biggrin.gif

MandMCakeDesigns Posted 22 Apr 2007 , 3:40am
post #10 of 10

So the cake is finished. I broke down and covered it in fondant. I worked with it for awhile and it just kept getting worse. She won't mind the fondant and I figured it was the best and quickest way to a cake I will be proud to deliver. It was going to have fondant buttons and baby booties on it anyway, so it seemed to fit. So even though I feel a little like I "copped-out" the cake is cute...it's in my photos under Molly's shower cake.

Thanks for your help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%