Ribbons On Cakes

Decorating By cindww Updated 1 May 2006 , 1:25am by i_love_icing

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 12:22pm
post #1 of 11

I've seen so many beautiful cakes featured here that use fabric ribbon as part of the design. Is it safe to apply the ribbon directly to the cake or is there some special preparation that must be done before putting the ribbon on..?
Thanks,
Cindy

10 replies
CakeBakingGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeBakingGurl Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 12:27pm
post #2 of 11

I am not sure but I was thinkingof using ribbon next week on a cake so here's your bump!

kettlevalleygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kettlevalleygirl Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 11

Here is another bump, I am interested in adding ribbon also...actually just bought some and am wondering if it will get "oily"

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 2:54pm
post #4 of 11

Here is a lot of helpful information that was discussed in previous threads:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-19667-ribbon.html+iron

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 2:57pm
post #5 of 11

What I have been doing lately is putting clear contact paper on the back of the ribbon. It is easy to do and keeps the butter from the icing from discoloring the ribbon.

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 2:59pm
post #6 of 11

That's a great idea Price!! I never thought about that!! thanks for the tip!
Lorris

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 3:35pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks Price.

BellaDonna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaDonna Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 3:35pm
post #8 of 11

I like the clear contact paper idea. On a cake I just recently did which used ribbon, I first applied some wax paper around the cake that was about 1/2 and inch bigger than the ribbon. It worked great.

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 4:12pm
post #9 of 11

I was putting some clear contact paper over top of some decorative paper on a cake board one day and had some scraps of contact paper left over. Since I was also using ribbon the cake I decided to try the contact paper on the back of the ribbon and loved the way it worked. I could trim it exacty to the size of the ribbon so that nothing shows and use the scraps at the same time! I love not having to throw anything away! Waste not, Want not! icon_biggrin.gif I hope you try the idea and like it. Let me know!!

lisascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisascakes Posted 30 Apr 2006 , 7:55pm
post #10 of 11

I've used ribbon on several cake without the contact paper and never had any problems. I like to put in on when the fronsting is still damp - the ribbon sticks better. I also have used the stings of pearls you can get from the craft/frabic stores and love the way they look also.

i_love_icing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
i_love_icing Posted 1 May 2006 , 1:25am
post #11 of 11

I used ribbon on a cake without using anything under it and it stuck on there really good, but when they pulled it off to cut the cake, it pulled up the icing with it! So embarrassing! Maybe they pulled it too fast? I'm going to use something under it next time to make sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%