Can You Mix Luster/pearl Dust Into Your Icing?

Decorating By absolutecakes Updated 21 Apr 2007 , 4:41am by NikkiDoc

absolutecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absolutecakes Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 4:05am
post #1 of 6

I was just wondering if you can mix luster or pearl dust into your icing and still get some of the effect?

Thanks!
Katie

5 replies
tburkhalter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tburkhalter Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 4:12am
post #2 of 6

I don't know the answer to this, but I am interested in other responses, so I'm giving you a bump!

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 4:21am
post #3 of 6

It will take a lot of the luster dust to get the shine and pearlesence into the buttercream, making that buttercream quite expensive. The petal dust is lacking shine anyway, so it will just act as a colorant. It's sometimes hard to use powders in buttercream because it's hard to get them to evenly distribute. You could mix it in a little vodka or lemon extract first and then add it in to get the color you want. I would just use gel colors though, a lot less expensive, and leave the luster dust to royal icing, gumpaste and fondant.

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 4:21am
post #4 of 6

no, it gets lost. dust are ment to be painted OVER

absolutecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absolutecakes Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 4:36am
post #5 of 6

So lets say you were doing brush embroidery with the royal icing and wanted them to look pearlized, then I'd have to wait until it's all dry and paint over them?

How do people get their entire cakes to look shiney and pearlized?

Katie

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 4:41am
post #6 of 6

Not sure about that but I believe that effect is achieved with an airbrush...is this correct...anyone?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%