Home Made Magi-Cake Strips!

Decorating By Charmed Updated 28 Apr 2007 , 1:36am by Charmed

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 12:28am
post #1 of 13

Does anyone know how to make a homemade version of the magi-cake strips? I have to bake a half sheet cake and our local hobby lobby was out of them!!
Katy thumbs_up.gif

12 replies
StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 12:41am
post #2 of 13

My decorating instructor taught me this... years ago. Take an old towel and tear into strips... wide enough to fold in half. Put them in cold water and wring out. Pin them around the pan and bake as usual.

I used to do that... until I read about the flower nail method. I think it works better and it's much easier in my opinion.

eriksmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eriksmom Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 12:43am
post #3 of 13

i don't use strips around sheet pans. i use two flower nails. placed upside down, of course, one on either end of the pan. they work as a heating core, and my cakes come out nice and level every time. don't forget to gently press the top of the cake after it bakes, to push any air out or relieve any dome that may have formed. also, with your half sheets, knock the baking temp down about 25 degrees and bake just a bit longer.
HTH

StephW Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 12:45am
post #4 of 13

Don't forget to grease the flower nails too.

eriksmom Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 10:52pm
post #5 of 13

StephW, I've never greased my flower nails. i've never had a problem getting them out, so what else does it do? Or have I just been getting lucky?

StephW Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:48am
post #6 of 13

I'm not sure.... I read that you should grease them... so I always have. I have never had issues getting them out either.

hmmmmmmm...

manderfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderfrog Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 2:58am
post #7 of 13

It's not really that they don't come out of the cake, but certain cakes really stick to the nail. It is kind of hard to get the baked on cake out of the tiny crevices of the flower nail if it is not greased well. icon_smile.gif

eriksmom Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:29am
post #8 of 13

I've always just used a little scrubby brush to clean them well, but I'll try greasing them next time and see if I can save myself some work. I love baking and decorating, but hate cleaning up the mess! Thanks for the tip

Honey_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honey_Cakes Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 3:42am
post #9 of 13

When you say place upside down. Do you mean you put them in the bottom of the tin then pour the cake mix in? Im not sure I understand how to use them to make the cake level?

StephW Posted 23 Apr 2007 , 4:21pm
post #10 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheree_bee

When you say place upside down. Do you mean you put them in the bottom of the tin then pour the cake mix in? Im not sure I understand how to use them to make the cake level?

Yes, you place them upside down in the pan after you have greased/floured the pan and the nail. Use one or more nails depending on how big the pan is. Then pour the batter in and bake as usual. I don't quite know the science to how they work, but you won't get that big mound of cake in the middle. Use these instead of the heating core or cake strips.

HTH

Charmed Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 1:16pm
post #11 of 13

I just want to thank you all for your help thumbs_up.gif
Katy

tonenia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonenia Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 8:11pm
post #12 of 13

I have used the towel method also. One day I came up short about 5 inches around my pan and already had the cake in the pan so I cut an old towel and used it to cover the area that I was short and it worked just great!

Charmed Posted 28 Apr 2007 , 1:36am
post #13 of 13

Just wanted to thank you all thumbs_up.gif
Katy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%