Cake Mix Doctor

Decorating By Chrystal Updated 2 May 2005 , 6:39pm by AgentCakeBaker

Chrystal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrystal Posted 1 May 2005 , 2:04am
post #1 of 16

is this a book? The Cake Mix doctor.. does it just have cake mixes in it? Or can anyone recommend a good book or Books taht i should invest in? I woudl liike to build up my bookshelf on cake books.. So any ideas would be helpful!! thanks again!!
chrystal

15 replies
Chrystal Posted 1 May 2005 , 2:05am
post #2 of 16

any good books on decorating or fondant would be helpful also!! thanks again...

ilithiya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ilithiya Posted 1 May 2005 , 2:29am
post #3 of 16

If you can afford it - I really shouldn't have, myself - invest the $100 to $150 it'll end up costing you to get all three volumes of the 1970's Wilton Way of Decorating encyclopedias.

Volume One is the basic overview of everything; lily nails, flowers, borders, lettering, color flow; it also covers sugar molds, marzipan, general molding, and figure piping.

Volume Two goes in depth with regional styles: Philippine, English, Australian, South African, Mexican, and Continental; it also covers gum paste and pastillage, pulled sugar, and cocoa painting. This is the one to get if you want to focus on Joseph Lambeth's overpiping technique and don't want to pay for that book. The flowers of the 50 states and 23 different kinds of roses are covered as well. (I've seen the Lambeth text go for $700+.)

Volume Three is usually the one that everyone goes for first - it's the volume that deals with all the decorating tubes available; I've noticed, additionally, that they had several tips that they no longer make, like the 220 which makes a campanula/bellflower type. (CK carries this one.)

All three have recipes, cutting diagrams, how to pillar, and all the other things you'll need to know eventually.

Illy

Chrystal Posted 1 May 2005 , 2:31am
post #4 of 16

is it really necessary? Or is that all stuff I can find other places... Is is worth 150???

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 1 May 2005 , 2:33am
post #5 of 16

You could also invest in some of Colette Peter's magazines. I'm going to purchase one of her books in the next couple of days.

Also, I have a lot of the wilton yearbooks. These books have project ideas in them with instructions and items needed for each cake. I bought most of my yearbooks from ebay. Some of the older ones are great to have. The oldest I have so far is from 1989.

Check out sugarcraft.com. This site has alot of cake decorating books that you may be interested in as well.

Chrystal Posted 1 May 2005 , 2:34am
post #6 of 16

is there something i should be looking for? Or are there any up to date ones?? I love to pull sugar and do sugar pieces... Any books with those ideas for cakes??

AgentCakeBaker Posted 1 May 2005 , 2:39am
post #7 of 16

There are plenty of up to date issues of the wilton yearbooks. I also have a 2005 yearbook and the newest fondant book by wilton. These are good to have for decorating ideas and icing techniques.

I don't know how to do sugar flowers so I don't know much about books for them. Although I have seen plenty of the sugar flowers/art books advertised on this site.

Chrystal Posted 1 May 2005 , 2:40am
post #8 of 16

how much do the wilton 2005 book cost?? Also is it just pictures or does it have instructions also??

AgentCakeBaker Posted 1 May 2005 , 2:45am
post #9 of 16

The yearbooks in my cake supply store run for about $15. At times you can find some yearbooks for $3 to $10 on ebay. All of my yearbooks except two came from ebay. Half of the book consists of pictures with instructions for every occasion. Some portions of the book have instructions on how to pipe borders, letters, roses, etc. The remainder of the book advertises all of Wilton's products such as pans, tips, etc.

JessicaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicaM Posted 1 May 2005 , 4:47am
post #10 of 16

You can always get the most recent Wilton yearbook at walmart for about $8-$9, and if you have a Michael's or Joann's they will have it and some other Wilton books, all $10 -$15 I think. I know the cake decorating shops in my area all have a minimal supply of the last few years' yearbooks as well, and some of them have some good ideas in them. I have always heard great things about books by Nicholas Lodge, though I don't have any yet! He makes the most amazing flowers from gumpaste! Oh-Hobby Lobby sells the wilton books, too!

Cake Mix Doctor book is great if you like to start with a mix, which I prefer, I feel I get more consistent results that way, and her book has some great ideas to improve a mix! She also has a Chocolate Cake Mix Doctor and most recently a Cupcake Doctor book as well.

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 1 May 2005 , 12:30pm
post #11 of 16

There is a new book out out that I just purchased Cupcakes from the Cake Doctor by Anne Byrn. I am really happy with it. It is $13.95. If you have a Borders Book Store nearby give them your email. Periodically throughout the year they send me coupons by email . This week I got a 30 percent off coupon that I printed and used on the book. The book then cost $10.00. I know I am a little off topic for cake books but I just wanted to share about this new book.

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 1 May 2005 , 1:40pm
post #12 of 16

The cake mix Dr. book is really useful and the cakes turn out delicious. I haven't tried all of them yet but a few and they have been terrific, I get lots of compliments. Even if you don't follow those recipes exactly it also give you good hints on how you can customize mixes yourself.

Chrystal Posted 1 May 2005 , 7:26pm
post #13 of 16

alright..today is sunday... and im going to Barnes and NOble... oh yeah CUPCAKE: I love BORDERS!! When i lived in Ohio we had one. I love the Chai they sell there.. No one else has Chai that tastes as good as theres does!! haha...
but thanks for all the ideas.. i appreciate it.. looks like im going book shopping todya after i do laundry icon_sad.gif lol

AgentCakeBaker Posted 2 May 2005 , 2:34pm
post #14 of 16

cupcakes

Do you have to use your emailed coupon online or can you take it to the store and use it?

I get there coupons via email too but never used them yet. I guess I should since I am constantly buying cake baking and decorating books.

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 2 May 2005 , 6:34pm
post #15 of 16

Hi Agent Cake Baker, you print the coupons out and take them to the book store. I usually print out a few. You can only use at a time, but the book store usually runs this for 3 days. Yes I have gone back 3 times! I always find something I just have to have. I just bought 3 different cake books this weekend. I am glad the add expired, I couldn't afford any more sale days!

AgentCakeBaker Posted 2 May 2005 , 6:39pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks cupcakes!

I've been dying to buy another book.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%