Help!!! Cake Idea Needed For Barber Shop Grand Opening

Decorating By chel Updated 15 Aug 2013 , 7:48pm by mgarcia0113

chel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chel Posted 1 May 2005 , 1:35am
post #1 of 11

I just had a request for a cake for a Grand Opening at a Barber Shop.

Any suggestions?

Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
marknrox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknrox Posted 1 May 2005 , 1:39am
post #2 of 11

How about a barber pole? Maybe with scissors, shaving brush, etc out of fondant around it (or on top of it)

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 1 May 2005 , 1:40am
post #3 of 11

I was thinking the pole also. you could do six inch or eight inch stacked cover them with red and white stiped fondant.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 1 May 2005 , 5:58am
post #4 of 11

I like the barber pole idea too. Another idea might be to make a cake shaped like a giant pair of scissors cutting a long strand of hair kind of like a ribbon cutting ceremony.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 2 May 2005 , 11:06pm
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakeconfections

I was thinking the pole also. you could do six inch or eight inch stacked cover them with red and white stiped fondant.

What might be easier is to frost the cake and then take a strip of red fondant and wrap it around the stacked cake. Don't forgot to put a center dowel rod in the middle so it does not fall apart.

mgarcia0113 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mgarcia0113 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 1:38pm
post #6 of 11

I am doing a barber pole cake and was wondering if I would need to put a rod through the center if I am using the SPS system?? I was planning on stacking four 6" rounds together (each about 4" in height) and thought that the SPS system would provide a stable internal structure for the cake. I imagine it as kind of like a skeleton. Would this work or completely fall apart on me?? Thanks in advance for any help you guys canoffer!! 

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 2:10pm
post #7 of 11

AYou'd have to somehow pre drill holes in the center-I don't know how you could do that considering he close the legs are with that size.

I think you'd be better off with the center pole attached to a baseboard, with something else as your internal support. You can use polydowels or tea straws and maybe foam core or something stronger with a hole in the center.

mgarcia0113 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 3:17pm
post #8 of 11

AHow thick do you think the pole would have to be?? Since the cakes are only 6" diameter I would hate to be left with very little cake since I need at least 30 servings out of it? And where would I get these rods? I usually just do standard cake styles and have never really had the need to put a rod through the middle!!! Would I be able to find a rod at a craft or cake decorating store like Michaels or would I have to go to a hardware supply store like Home Depot? Thank you so much for your help btw!!!

Smckinney07 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 6:02pm
post #9 of 11

AYou said you were stacking 4, 6" rounds (each about 4" high) so that's 4 tiers of cake with each tier being 6x4 depending on which serving chart you use each cake with give you approx 10 servings so your already at 60. Is this correct? Or did I misunderstand your original post?

Smckinney07 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 6:03pm
post #10 of 11

AOops no I meant 40 lol

mgarcia0113 Posted 15 Aug 2013 , 7:48pm
post #11 of 11

Yes that is correct!! I use a slightly larger cake slice just because I get nervous that people would be upset if the slices are too small :/ so with that sizing its 8 slices for every tier which only gives me 32 :/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%