I Think I Put Lard In My Bc, Whats The Difference?

Decorating By brightbrats Updated 20 Apr 2007 , 11:19pm by JavaJunkieChrissy

brightbrats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brightbrats Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 5:24pm
post #1 of 8

I am not sure, my sister gave me a can and I thought she said it was shortening. But it smelled different when I fixed my bc. So know I am not sure if I used shortening or lard, how do you tell and what is the difference ?

It seems like it taste different too, not sure if it does, or if i just think it does now.

So should I ditch it and start over, or what ?

Please answer soon, before I have to go to the store again.

7 replies
GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GinaJuarez Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 5:58pm
post #2 of 8

can you ask your sister what it was? I think that if it was lard, I would just ditch it and go to the store. Just knowing that my frosting was made with animal fat would kinda freak me out. Just my opinion.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 6:04pm
post #3 of 8

I'd ditch it. Animal fat in icing? no way.

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 8

throw it out when in doubt my motto icon_wink.gif

hillmn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hillmn Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 6:08pm
post #5 of 8

I have had Crisco get old and it takes on a funny look and smell. I would toss it.

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 6:09pm
post #6 of 8

Oh my...save the lard! It's the BEST thing to make pie crust with. I know so many people that make their crust from butter or crisco (these are professional bakers) and they have yet to figure out how I get my pie crust to light and flakey.....I use lard!! It'll give you a wonder flavor in the crust. Lard comes from pigs if I'm not mistaken it's from the fat that forms around the kidneys....I know that sould gross but it's true.

I would not use it in icing. I think you would definately taste the difference if you smell the lard I think it even smells a little like bacon.... icon_lol.gif

Just keep the lard....put put that in the fridge because it can and will spoil. It actually turns rancid.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 6:57pm
post #7 of 8

I do agree that old crisco does get a wierd smell and flavor, it could be that. Either way if it doesnt taste right, I would toss it.

JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 8

Crisco and lard are two different things. Crisco is a veggie shortening and lard is from a pig......SNORT,SNORT icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%