Piping Gel...will It Stay???

Decorating By msauer Updated 25 Apr 2007 , 9:15pm by rocketgirl96

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 6

Did anyone see the email from ACD this month? Bronwen Weber has an adorable jewelry box cake that she decorates a fondant covered cake with piping gel to look like gems/beads. I'll see if I can attach a pic.

So, I am doing a cake for my niece (a purse) and thought I would try doing something similar on the outside of her purse. So my question is will it (the piping gel)actually stick and hold it's shape for a 2 hour car ride? Do I have to do something more to it to thicken it?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!

-Michelle

Great! It attached....isn't it freakin' beautiful?!?!?!?!?!
LL

5 replies
JavaJunkieChrissy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JavaJunkieChrissy Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 6:22pm
post #2 of 6

Are the darker pink decorations also piping gel? Yes, that cake is beautiful !!!

I'm not sure about the car ride and the piping gel but this will help and give you a bump.

I wonder....what would it be like to actually eat all of the piping gel....would you just scrape it off??? icon_rolleyes.gif

darcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darcat Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 12:42am
post #3 of 6

wow what a beautiful cake. I think your piping gel will be fine as long as the car is not overly warm. I once put some gel squiggles on waxed paper just to see how long it would take for them to firm up enough so that I could put it on cookies and bag them and after about 8 hrs it was perfect just firm enough not to move around or run and yet soft enough to still be tasty. I love the taste of gel afterall its mostly just karo syrup, gelatin and water. hope this helps

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 12:47am
post #4 of 6

It will form a skin and start to dry. I paint all my dummies with piping gel and they just dry nicely!

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 6:36am
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much for the great advice! I think I'm gonna "got for it"!!!

Have a great weekend everyone!

-Michelle

rocketgirl96 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rocketgirl96 Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 9:15pm
post #6 of 6

Be sure to post a pic when it's finished. I'd love to see it!

Christine

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%