Fresh Pineapple?

Decorating By MomRocks Updated 20 Apr 2007 , 3:55pm by bobwonderbuns

MomRocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomRocks Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 12:51pm
post #1 of 9

Hi,

This is going to sound like a stupid question, but here goes. I'm making a cake for tomorrow and the client asked for pineapple filling. But rather than fresh pineapple, she said something about her family liking canned pineapple, and that was fine. Hmmm. I bought a can of crushed pineapple, but the thought of just "dumping it on the cake" in between the layers seems a little odd - won't it sink in, or not be thick enough? I found a pineapple filling recipe which I thought about using instead, to thicken the filling up.

Has anyone used just fresh (or canned) pineapple, and just put it directly on the cake as a filling, with nothing else? Thoughts?? Thanks in advance for your help!

- Amy

8 replies
MomRocks Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 9

Can anyone help with this? Thanks!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 1:27pm
post #3 of 9

Fresh or canned pineapple "dumped" on the cake as a filling will not be good -- it will saturate the cake and make it unstable. (Don't ask me how I know that...icon_confused.gif) What you can do (I do this all the time) is take a small can of crushed pineapple in juice and drain it WELL. Take a small blop of your frosting and mix it in with that. Use that as your filling. Fresh pineapple has so much fiber that you run the risk of them getting pieces in their teeth (yuck! icon_surprised.gificon_confused.gif ) and the like. I'd go with the drained crushed pineapple mixed with buttercream. They usually only want a taste of pineapple, not a pineapple pie! icon_biggrin.gif Hope that helps some! icon_lol.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 1:30pm
post #4 of 9

what about using the pineapple ice cream topping......it's pinapple in a sort of lemon curdy looking stuff??? I don't know how thick it is though..looks kinda thick in the jar lol........maybe something like that would work?

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 1:31pm
post #5 of 9

I agree with the above!

Use the crushed canned pineapple....drain WELL. I drain it in a strainer, and then drain it again.
Then mix with a little buttercream or whipped cream filling and you're good to go. But make a very strong buttercream dam around the edge of the cake.

PennieK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennieK Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 1:36pm
post #6 of 9

I recently made a coconut pineapple cake w/ white chocolate cream cheese icing. It has a really good pineapple filling. I got the recipe here. I'm sorry I don't know how to set up the link but you can find it if you search under pineapple cakes.

MomRocks Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 1:43pm
post #7 of 9

Thanks, all, for the great ideas (and for confirming that I would mess up my cake by just dumping the pineapple on it)! I did find the recipe for pineapple filling on this site, and if I don't end up going with that, I will definitely try to mix it with some of my BC.

Thanks!

bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 3:53pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennieK

I recently made a coconut pineapple cake w/ white chocolate cream cheese icing. It has a really good pineapple filling. I got the recipe here. I'm sorry I don't know how to set up the link but you can find it if you search under pineapple cakes.

Oh that sounds delicious!! White chocolate cream cheese icing? Is that recipe on this site also?? I'd love to try it! icon_rolleyes.gificon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 9

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%