Traveling "pre-Rolled" Fondant

Decorating By onetaahine Updated 20 Apr 2007 , 4:13am by onetaahine

onetaahine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onetaahine Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 12:19am
post #1 of 6

I couldn't decide which forum to post under so here it goes... icon_biggrin.gif

I'm traveling end of May for an island wedding. I am freezing my cakes and taking them with me.

I am wondering... has anyone ever took their fondant with them already pre-rolled? I was thinking I might be able to:

1. Roll them out the night before I leave
2. Place each of the sheets between layers of vinyl
3. Roll THAT up and tape up ends
4. Cover in plastic wrap and then again in foil and then after that in a large plastic bag and refrigerate it once I get on land.
5. Mix buttercream and pull out "pre-rolled" fondant to cover...

What do you think?

5 replies
mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 12:23am
post #2 of 6

Gosh, I'm so glad you posted this question!!!!
I'm in Alabama and my niece in Tennessee has asked me to make her wedding cake in August. Probably the only part I was nervous about was the traveling!!!!
Hope you get lots of advice!!

AZrunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZrunner Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 12:43am
post #3 of 6

If you are traveling by plane, don't carry-on fondant. One of my students ended up getting searched because of her fondant and tools. She was told the box of fondant in foil had the same texture as the puddy used in explosives. She was advised not to attempt it again. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

If you are driving, assemble 2 tiers each, and transport it. Meaning if you have 4 tiers, assemble the bottom 2 and the top 2, so you'll have 2 assembled cakes. When you get there, plop the top 2 on the base tier, finish your bordering on-site. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

onetaahine Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 1:54am
post #4 of 6

bump!

It's a June wedding in Hawaii. I'll be on the plane since I'll be needing all my reserve canoe rowing energy for wrestling with the fondant. thumbs_up.gif I'll be in a hotel so I was trying not inconvience any relatives w/ their kitchen or travel with rolling pin... boo!

THANK YOU for the tip on the -- no-fondant-on-the-plane! I was just going to stick that roll in the cooler along with the cakes... maybe with a box of baking soda!

moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 2:37am
post #5 of 6

I would not pre roll the fondant. Kneading the fondant give it stretch. Even if you had in between the plastic it will have the chance to dry. This will cause something called elephant skin and it looks terrible.

onetaahine Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 4:13am
post #6 of 6

and THAT's why I LOVE CC!!!!!

Prompt and efficient answers... LOVE IT! Thanks so much!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%